Friday, October 24, 2008

Frugal Tips for New Moms

Good Day All!

Since I am a new mom again, I have been trying to do things a little different this time around when it comes to spending money. I am trying to be a little more frugal about things and here are some things that I am trying and will try when the time comes:

1. Use cloth diapers instead of disposables - I am just starting out in this adventure. It is a little more expense to start out, but if you buy second hand like I have, you save money that way too...and its great for the environment. I have 24 prefolds, and 9 all in ones or pocket diapers, as well as 2 Kushies diaper wraps, so lots...and only spent $150 total....so pretty good when a few of my AIO's and Pockets are usually $20-25 a piece new.

2. Make your own baby food - why pay .50-$2.00 a jar when you can use a steamer, blender and ice cubes at home to make food that you know what is in it and that it full of good stuff:) My oldest was on bought baby food but this time I am going to make my own with my youngest...I will keep you updated! All you have to do is puree your foods, and divide them in ice cube trays and freeze....one cube is 2oz approximently and you will need about 6-8 trays...the only expense really that you need as you use the food you already have to puree...I will be adding baby food recipes in the coming weeks as I prepare foods for my little one to try in a couple months:)

3. Buy clothes second hand. Or participate in a clothing swap with friends who might have clothes they don't use anymore. Kids dont wear out their clothes when they are under the age of 4, its usually that they outgrow them first, so most clothes are in super, almost new condition. And you can usually get all kinds of name brands for extremely inexpensive...so you are getting great quality too. Buy bigger sizes too when you find great deals and store them for later...saving money down the road.

4. Search the web for freebies and coupons. Many of the baby formula or other baby products have coupons and full size free samples of their products, as well other valuable info.

5. Breastfeed - its free and oh so good for your baby!

6. Use cloth wipes or make your own wipe solution by using equal parts baby shampoo and baby oil, add 2 cups of water, mix and pour over paper towels, or soft rags, in a container.

I hope you like and use these tips with your own children. Let me know of other money saving tips you have regarding baby and child care.:)

Have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment