Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Big Cook

I have been married for almost 12 years now and my collection of cookbooks continues to grow in leaps and bounds. I think I received about 10 for bridal shower and wedding gifts way back, and I do not see things slowing down. However I believe I have found THE cookbook of all cookbooks!

The Big Cook is not only a cookbook
but a new way to look at freezer cooking!

Freezer cooking (cooking in large amounts and freezing for future use) has been around for a long time, but The Big Cook takes freezer cooking to a whole new level.

The Big Cook was written by Deanna Siemans, Joann Smith, and Lorelei Thomas. Three moms who have busy lives, back in 1997 decided to start freezer cooking together and the concept of The Big Cook was born. All three ladies, and their families, reside in Southern Alberta, Canada.

The idea of doing a "big cook" is to get 4-6 people together and each person prepare a set amount of recipes. At the end of the day of cooking and preparation you will easily prepare up to 200 meals in one day!

I love the recipes in The Big Cook. The book contains recipes for beef, pork and chicken. All very simple to follow and gives ingredient amounts for 1, 4, 6 and 8 meals. I have owned this book since April of 2009 and have made 43 of the 73 recipes. They have all been very good. Very tasty, easy to prepare, and I love the variety of cooking methods (most recipes give you the option of oven, BBQ, or slow cooker). The book also has two sample Big Cooks and grocery lists in the appendix.

The concept of The Big Cook is so simple, I was able to prepare 15 meals in about one hour. I was so amazed at how little time it took. For two weeks all I needed to do was take my meal out of the freezer and pop it in the oven and presto, dinner served! One of my familys favorite Big Cook recipes is the BBQ Beef, which is a sample recipe on The Big Cook website

In Lethbridge, The Big Cook is available at Save-On-Foods and Chapters Bookstore in hardback, coil form. It is also available on The Big Cook website.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a terrific book! The fact that you've made 43 of the 73 recipes is really impressive. And that you and your family LIKED the recipes -- even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my family LOVES these recipes...I can't wait to try out more of them! I have recommended this book to many people!

    Thanks for checking out my blog. I am just starting out with product reviews, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you do it all by yourself, or with other people? What I am really wondering is- do I need to have 4-6 people together to do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. RLE...:)

    Totally you can do it yourself! I do all the time...sorry did not mention that:) I have been doing just the 1 meal amounts to test the recipes...but now that there are many (all!) that I like, I am freezing usually in the 4 meal amounts so I have lots frozen!

    You will really enjoy it, especially with your little ones....my girls really eat these meals well!

    ReplyDelete