Friday, September 25, 2009

Fun, Green, Educational Music for Children - Is It Out There? - Bobs & Lolo Review



After working in the field of Early Childhood Education for over 10 years, and having two young children, I have heard my share of children's music. Frankly, most of it I could do without. I have heard the Alphabet Song and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star more times than I can count. And I do not particularly like the idea of the "new" music for kids - remaking adult songs with children's voices. I just don't quite understand that whole concept.

When I look for music for my children and the children I work with, I like to look for fun, educational music. That is, I want my children and other children to learn something from the music. Whether its a new language, or safety rules, or eco-friendly songs. I know that they will eventually be walking around the house or class singing the songs from memory, so I want to be able to hear great lyrics.

There are several artists and groups out there that provide the type of music I am looking for. Bobs & Lolo are one of these artists.

Robyn Hardy (Bobs) and Lorraine Pond (Lolo) debuted as Bobs and Lolo in 2003 and have been entertaining children ever since. The fact that they both have extensive education backgrounds, and love for children is evident in their fun, engaging and educational music. Bobs and Lolo grew up on Vancouver Island and their love for nature and teaching children to love themselves, their neighbors and the planet is seen in their music. You can check out the Bobs and Lolo music and lyrics on their website.

Bobs and Lolo sent me a sample DVD of their most recent endeavor, a DVD compilation called On Your Feet. It has 10 music videos of songs from their 2006 CD Musical Adventures and the 2004 Sea Notes CD.

I received this DVD in the mail yesterday, and it has been viewed 4 times today! My daughters are almost 3 years and 14 months of age, and I am amazed at the way it holds their attention. Today I also had 4 other children in my care (I run a home daycare) and for the entire length of the DVD, all the children (even the 14 month old) jumped and danced around the room! They especially loved Raindrop Pop, and you can watch it now:



One of my favorite videsos on the DVD, On Your Feet, is Recycle With Me, seen here:

I love that it teaches children how to take care of the earth. Young children can even understand this concept. My daughter already catches me when I forget and try to throw away something that should be recycled. Yes, I had already taught her about recycling but the song "Recycle with Me" is a great reinforcement!

Not only can Bobs and Lolo be heard on CD and seen on DVD, they can also be seen live! Their website has a calander that shows all their upcoming appearances. During 2008 and 2009, Bobs and Lolo were seen by many children around Canada and the US at Children's Festivals, The Calgary Stampede, The Pacific National Exhibition, The Vancouver Aquarium and many other places!

If you are a parent of a preschool child, and you live in Canada, chances are you have heard of Treehouse TV (I know its a staple in my house). As of February 2009, Bobs and Lolo can be seen on Treehouse. Their videos are seen between exsisting shows...keep your eyes out!

To purchase Bobs & Lolo music or the DVD, click here for a list of online stores, retailers and music downloads.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cute DVD, I'm going to look into it for my grandson! By the way, I have an award for you on my blog! Thanks for visiting and for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Videos!! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete