Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Modesty Part 2

So yesterday I wrote about how I was trying to find an alternative to Barbie or Bratz dolls for my two young daughter's because I want them to have dolls that incorporate the sense of modesty we, as parents want to instill to them.

Yesterday, I had a number of responses to my blog entry, thank you to all who have given a response. It was great to hear from my readers.

Throughout my teen years and adult years I have struggled with weight issues, and have always been a little jealous of "the girls out there" who could dress in any style of clothing and look good all the time. Only in the last several years have I realized that I do not have to, nor do I want to, wear itsy bitsy clothing, and too tight clothing to look attractive. I am still not 100% comfortable with my body (still trying to lose weight) but I am finally finding out what I can wear and wear well.

That said, I did some internet searching last night and this morning and discovered many company's that design and produce modesty wear. I have to admit, when I first heard the term, modesty wear, I automatically thought frumpy, non-sexy clothing but wow, I was wrong. Yes, some of the modesty wear out there is very plain and not items I would choose to wear. However, there are several that carry very cute, sexy, yet modest clothing. As far as clothing for young girls and teens, I certainly do not want my pre-school daughter to look sexy, and a number of companies carry super cute shirts, dresses, pants and swimwear that is adorable!

Here is a list of only a few websites I found in my search. I know there a many more, so here is what I would love to hear from my readers: do you know of other modesty wear websites, or company's that have cute, attractive clothing for women, teens and children? What are your thoughts on dressing modest?

Here is my list:


Modest Clothing for Christians



Funky Frum


Upstream Girl

Christa Taylor

I noticed that on a number of these sites, the prices can be a little steep, however I know that when you shop at stores like Wal-Mart, The Children's Place, Zellers, etc you can also find modest looking clothes too. The above sites are company's that offer strictly modest clothing, whereas the other companies I just mentioned do not. As well, many of the specialized modesty wear company's have a religious base in the mission statements, etc. Not always, but often.

I look forward to your thoughts :)

4 comments:

  1. What a great subject-this does not get talked about enough - Another thing that concerns me is finding good shoes for young girls without heels - I find that sandals after children get to be 9 or 9 are often inappropriate - what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you on shoes! Why does a child need heels...I don't even wear them most of the time:)Again its the whole societal thinking that kids need to be "little adults" and I just think that is silly. Let kids be kids...they grow up fast enough as it is.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you posted this because this needs to be addressed more. Especially, for the sake of our young daughters! I look forward to checking out those sites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Theta Mom....I really appreciate that you agree with me. I just want to be able to teach my girls that they are beautiful inside and out, but do not have to dress provocatively to try to be beautiful. I hope that one day they will be able to take all I teach them and make great decisions in all areas of their lives, not just modesty

    ReplyDelete