Monday, September 21, 2009

A New Approach to Modesty

Ever since being blessed with little girls, I have often thought about how I will teach my daughter's about being modest. Not only in the way they dress, but how they speak, and act as well! I have already started making sure the girls wear clothes that cover their bodies up, no bellies showing, etc. However, I have noticed even the little girl clothing is just a miniature version of what some women wear. I just don't understand this. Why does society believe it is okay for girls as young a three years of age to dress like an adult woman. This is so not what I want to teach my children.

I have already begun instilling in my children that it is okay to dress modestly, and that they are beautiful inside and out. However, another problem that I have come across is toys. Especially dolls, such as Barbie and Bratz. They do not teach young girls modesty at all. This is very sad to me. I remember growing up with dolls such as Barbie and having a great time with them. Yet I am very hesistant to purchase such toys for my girls because I do not believe they teach girls a healthy body image or modesty.

That said I have been on the lookout for dolls and other toys that teach girls modesty, healthy self esteem and that they are valuable no matter what they do, how they are dressed or what they look like physically. I firmly believe the inside is what matters most, especially to God. I am raising my children in a home that is filled with God. Therefore I want their playthings to also represent our faith in some aspects. I recently came across two dolls that I cannot wait to purchase in the near future: Karito Dolls and Only Hearts Club Dolls


The Karito Kids Dolls are comprised of seven different dolls, each representing a different culture and country from around the world. They each come dressed in a fun, modest outfit. As well, each doll comes with a hard cover book about her adventures in her home country. Another great benefit of these dolls is they come with a special code to activate them on the Karito Kids website, and in the process you can choose to support charities around the world that help less fortunate kids, and learn about different cultures through playing online games too. These dolls are not cheap, costing $99. You can check them out here.

The Only Hearts Club dolls are a wonderful way to instill positive self esteem in young girls, while letting their imaginations soar. This is a direct quote from the website regarding the dolls:

The Only Hearts Club™, the perfect combination of beautiful dolls and hip accessories that are fun and cool and that girls love to play with, while at the same time providing a positive image and message that parents and grandparents want their girls to see and hear.

There are several Only Hearts Club dolls, all different cultures and styles. Each has a name and individual personality and interests. They are real dolls for real girls, as the website states. There are also Only Hearts Club books that detail the girls adventures! In each story, one of the girls has a dilema and throughout the book, discovers how to do the right thing. What a wonderful message for young girls to learn!

Young girls can even join the Only Hearts Club online and get some great goodies!

You can check out the Only Hearts Club Dolls here.

I would love to know what other ideas you have to instill modesty and right choices in the girls in your life! Leave a comment with your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shirley

    My girls did and still do have Barbies. I think we sometimes tend to view them from an adult view point, instead of a child's view. For my kids and even for myself growing up it was never about her-it was about the clothes and styling the hair. It was also about the new parcel in the mail from their Nana or Grandma who had crocheted or knitted a new outfit for Barbie. .
    I did draw the line at the books and cartoons etc as I wanted to make sure Barbie stayed a doll-something to dress up, take in the pool, save from the dinosaurs and the cats (we actually woke up one morning with a trail of Barbies starting upstairs to just outside our bedroom).
    They were also "cheap" dolls as I always found them at garage sales for 25cents to $1 and bags of clothes for $2 or less. With the dolls you have mentioned I would never have been able to afford to purchase them let alone build up the "closet of clothes" for them that we were able to manage for Barbie.
    I think that the best way to model modesty to our children is to "model" it for them and to discuss it casually and intentionally.

    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure the best way to model modesty to our children is to model. I totally agree. I just have a difficult time with dolls that look like women.

    I played with them too...and yes, the best part was dressing them and doing their hair. But I just think that a doll should look like a young girl not a fully developed woman. As far as price, for usre the Karito Kids dolls are pricey, and I will have to wait a long time before I could afford it for my girls, but the Only Hearts Dolls are $19 approx and that is comparable with a new in package Barbie.

    I really enjoyed reading your response. Thanks for your comments. I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic more, if you have other suggestions. My girls are only 3 and 14mths so I have a little bit of time before we hit the Barbie stage:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with your post. My two girls are not allowed to have Bratz dolls. They do have some of the Disney Princess dolls that are like Barbies but I think when they have big princess dresses on they are so much cuter than skimpy little outfits. They do have one Barbie from the Barbie Princess movie and she has a big dress on too. I think it is more about the clothes you allow them to put on their dolls than what brand the dolls actually are. Just started following from twittermoms, great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with this daily with my daughter. She's an early bloomer at 9 so I have to be extra vigilant. We definitely stayed away from the Bratz and the edgier barbies. I do like some of the barbies as they do represent wholesome attitudes and careers. For the edgier set, I like the new Moxie girls, their outfits are trendy and some even allow for the girls to decorate the shoes or the accessories. I have several of the Karito Kids, I got them from Costco online at a discounted price. They are well worth the money and more. I have Briana and Kayla from the Only Hearts girls. My intent was to share these with my daughter but she wasn't interested in dolls at the time. Madame Alexander makes some nice reasonably priced dolls that they sell at walmart and some better quality and little pricier dolls that they sell at Toys R Us. These are 18 inch dolls. Target makes a nice line called Our Generation, the only thing I don't like about these is there is absolutely no diversity. Lee Middleton Dolls also has some very cute baby and toddler type dolls. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the input Alaina and Margaret....

    I will definitely try to find some of the dolls you mentioned Margaret...I live in a small town in Alberta, Canada but have family living in larger centers in Manitoba so they can always check them out for me too...good ideas for gifts:) I am looking more and more at the Karito Kids, but want to see what i can get up here in Canada versus buying online.

    Thanks again All! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shirley,
    My daughter (age 9) enjoyed her Dora the Explorer doll when she was younger, the doll represents a young girl, not an adult and I liked that. She also likes the Disney Princesses and Tinker Bell etc. She has a Barbie, but never really got into her much. I try to encourage her towards wholesome/modest examples. She really likes the American Girls (the dolls are expenseive so we don't have any, but she reads the books and likes the movies) and she loves Little House on the Prairie. Those girls have become more like role models to her than the Barbies etc. Great topic for today's society!

    ReplyDelete