Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Big Thoughts For Little People - Book Review


I remember as a little girl reading Kenneth N Taylor's book,Big Thoughts For Little People, originally published in 1983, every night before bed with my mom. I still have the original copy of the book in my keepsake box. Now I am able to share this wonderful book with my two children, particularly my 3 year old.

Big Thoughts For Little People: ABC's To Help You Grow is being re-released in November 2009. As part of Tyndale House Publishers Blog Network, I was generously sent a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review.

Book Description:

Ken Taylor’s best-selling book is now updated with all-new bright and colorful illustrations and a larger trim size. Using the alphabet as a learning tool, the easy-to-use format of this beloved picture book connects Bible themes and verses that teach kids ages 3-7 Christian values. Each spread represents a letter of the alphabet and a Christian value or moral lesson beginning with the same letter. Kids are encouraged to find the lesson being modeled (or not) in the illustrations. They are also asked questions to help them apply the lesson to their lives. This book is sure to win the hearts of kids and parents alike.

Book Review:

I loved this book as a child, and I love it even more as a parent. This book is beautiful!!! The bright colors caught my attention right away. I love that I can teach my child the alphabet, Christian values, and memory verses all in one book. Each letter is introduced with a little rhyme and the questions are very basic and easy for a child to understand.

I love that each page has a Bible verse that I can teach my child, instead of only learning the memory verses from Sunday school. In fact, one of the verses in the book was her verse for Sunday School last month and she remembered that! She said, "that's my church verse, mommy". What a proud moment for me, as a mom. I think as parents, we often wonder if what we do is making a difference. I completely know that it does.

As we continue to read through Big Thoughts For Little People, I am confident that my children will learn very important Biblical lessons that they will use for the rest of their lives.

One thing that I love is that the illustrations portray a very multicultural world, as well as inclusive, showing children in a wheelchair for example.

My three year loves this book. We have been reading it every night for the last week. It is the first book we HAVE to read at bedtime. She points out alot of the different things going on in the illustrations and I have caught her "reading" to her little sister (15 months).

Big Thoughts For Little People: ABC's To Help You Grow would make a wonderful gift for any occasion, particularly with Christmas coming. It can be purchased at Amazon.ca, Amazon.com, ChristianBook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment