Monday, October 5, 2009

Find Your Strongest Life - Book Review


As part of Thomas Nelson Book Review Bloggers program, I was sent "Find Your Strongest Life" by Marcus Buckingham.

Finding Your Strongest Life tackles the age old question: "Can women have it all?" Is it possible to have a career, kids, marriage, etc and still have it all together?

Marcus Buckingham believes yes, if you focus on your strengths and use them to the best of your ability. Buckingham's basic premise of the book is to find your Core and Supporting strengths, build them up and use them in all areas of your life.

Buckingham has developed a Strong Life Test (you can take it here) and there are nine Core and Supporting roles that are identified by him. When I took the test, I discovered that my core role is Creator, while my supporting role is Teacher. In the book, and on his website, Buckingham outlines in details a definition of each role. I would have to say the test is pretty accurate.

The basic idea of this book is to identify the things in life that bring you joy and good feelings, and avoid the things that don't. There are a couple of ways he tells you to try to help you figure them out, and gives a good "points to ponder" summary at the end of each chapter.

One of the points Buckingham makes in his book is that women are not as happy as they were in the 1970's. One of the reasons he finds is because women today have too many choices. I believe this. We can choose to work, be at home, do both but at what cost, to have kids, not have kids, etc. The stress a lot of women face is because they do not know deep down what truly makes them happy and how to get there.

This book gives examples of real life women and how, when they learned their Core Role for life, they made the necessary changes and are now happier for it. I really enjoyed reading the real-life scenarios. They were encouraging, yet inspirational too.

I honestly had a difficult time reading this book. Yes, it was a easy read...only took me a couple days. But I felt that it was not a book for ALL women, as he claims. It seemed to me Buckingham's focus was married, career woman with children. If you do not have a high stress, high powered career, have no children and are not married, you may not get much out of this book.

I am married, and have two children but I stay at home. However, I am a work at home mom, so felt there were a few good points in the book that made it relevant to my life.

Also, though published by Thomas Nelson, a Christian publishing company, there is no mention of God's place in making one happy. There is no mention in the book about how a relationship with God is what makes one happy in life, no matter what stress you may face. This was discouraging to me. However, I do recommend this book for women who are struggling to find their calling in life.

Below I have put the Strong Life Book Trailer and an excerpt from Finding Your Strongest Life.

Buy
Read




You can purchase Find Your Strongest Life by Marcus Buckingham at Amazon.ca, Amazon.com and ChristianBook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment