Monday, October 19, 2009

God Made Your Body - A Book Review

As a parent, one tends to dread the moment in their child's life when it's time to have "the talk". If you are a parent, I know you know what I mean :)

I am of the opinion that even at a young age children need to know about their bodies and how things work (to some degree). Of course, done in an age appropriate manner. Therefore, I am always on the lookout for books, and other materials that will help me.

Thank you to Bethany House Publishers for generously giving me a copy of the book, God Made My Body by Jim Burns, in exchange for a review here.

I feel that this is a must have book for any parent with a child between three and five years of age (that is what is suggested by the publisher).

This book is beautifully illustrated with glossy photos of both children and adults. In the book, Jim Burns explains to children that girls and boys are each made differently. He also emphasizes that we are unique and special to God. That we each have different body parts, and personality traits that are unique to us!

God Made Your Body covers several topics with children in its 32 pages. It uses accurate medical terms, so children grow up knowing the correct terms. Jim Burns then explains in an age-appropriate way how babies are made, using a part of Mommy and a part of Daddy (again using accurate terms for sperm and egg). The book closes with discussion about differences in families, extended family, and adoption (which I really appreciate because I am adopted).

Just as each child is created unique, so parenting methods and styles are also unique and I feel that God Made Your Body will appeal to all types and styles of parents.

I really liked the fact that the book does not give "all the details" and gives the ground work for parents to discuss with their children the topic of body parts and how babies are made.

I also love the fact that it mentions children not only being born with a doctor, but also with a midwife! Also, I love that it includes one of my favorite passages of scripture: Psalm 139: 13 - 16

"You Made my whole being. You formed me in my mother's body.
I praise you because you made me in an amazing and wonderful way.
What You have done is wonderful. I know this very well.
You saw my bones being formed as I took shape in my mother's body.
When I was put together there, You saw my body as it was formed.
All the days planned for me were written in your book before I was one day old"

I read through the book first myself, and then read it to my 3 year daughter. If there were terms and parts that I felt she was not cognitively ready to understand I just modified what I read or left it out completely. When she is older, I will read it to her in full. This is one book that we will read over and over again!

God Made Your Body is part of the Pure Foundations Series, which includes the following:

1. How God Made Babies (for 6-9 year olds)

2. Accept Nothing Less: God's Best for Your Body, Mind & Heart (for teens)

3. The Purity Code: God's Plan for Sex and Your Body (for parents, preteens, teens)
(also available in audio)

4. Teaching Your Child Healthy Sexuality (parents, teens)
(also available in audio)

God Made Your Body is available through Bethany House, Amazon.ca and Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment