Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Brightest Star In The Sky - Book Review


I love to read a variety of genre's of books, and one that I do not read enough of is romance. I have always enjoyed a good, mushy romance book. So when I had the opportunity to read The Brightest Star In the Sky by Mariane Keyes I was very excited. Thank you to Brownyn from Penquin Books Canada for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review.

Book Description:

At 66 Star Street in Dublin someone is watching over the lives of the people living in its flats. But no one is aware of it—yet... One of them is ready to take the plunge and fall in love; another is torn between two very different lovers. For some, secrets they want to stay buried will come to light and for others, the unveiling of those secrets will have tragic consequences. Fate is on its way to Star Street, bringing with it love and tragedy, friendship and heartbreak, and the power to change their lives in the most unexpected of ways...

Read an excerpt here.

About The Author:

Marian Keyes is the international bestselling author of Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, Rachel's Holiday, Last Chance Saloon, Sushi for Beginners, Angels, and, most recently The Other Side of the Story, a Sunday Times Number One Bestseller. She is published in twenty-nine different languages. A collection of her journalism, called Under the Duvet, is also available in Penguin. Marian lives in Dublin with her husband.

My Review:

First off, I need to say that I have never read any of Marian Keyes work. I tend to shy away from romantic fiction for the most part. The reason I chose to read The Brightest Star In The Sky is that it sounded like a really fun read.And I was not disappointed.  Recently I have been reading more "serious" books and I needed a change of pace. And this book was just the change I needed.

The characters in the book are an eccentric bunch and it was very fun to learn about them all (there is a lot of them!). I found it a little hard to initially get "into" the book, as the first few chapters were introductions of the characters but once they all started to intermingle it was a great read. There are a number of different storylines that are weaved throughout the book. I will not give more details, so not to spoil the book. Suffice it to say, though a very fun, easy to read book that was definitely worth 400 pages!

One caution that I have is there is a fair amount of adult content (lanuage and sex scenes in particular), so if you are offended by that, than this would not be the book for you.

I highly recommend this book to those of you that enjoy romantic books, and also, I recommend this as a great Christmas gift for the Marian Keyes fan in your life.

The Brightest Star In the Sky was published November 3, 2009 in paperback and will be released January 2010 in Hardcover.

Buy It: Head over to Amazon.ca or Amazon.com to purchase your copy of The Brightest Star In the Sky

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun book to read, thanks for your review. I know what you mean about reading only "serious" books, and sometimes it is great to try something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Keyes' books! This is the only one I haven't read from her yet. But I would recommend her other books as well!

    If you love Keyes, I think you'd really enjoy a book I wrote called 'Knickles and Dimes'. It's a fun read, with laugh-out-loud characters and a great story. I hope you'll check it out!

    http://www.eloquentbooks.com/KnicklesAndDimes.html

    Thanks for the review!

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great comments ladies!

    Jillian, your book looks great! I checked out the website! If you ever want a review done, let me know:) I would to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I'll definitely let you know if I need a review in the future!

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I'll defintely let you know! Great blog, btw : )

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete