Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bear Portraits - A Book Review


About The Book:

A top celebrity portrait photographer, Jill Greenberg has a unique ability to coax powerful emotions out of her subjects - whether human or animal. Her portraits of bears, collected here for the first time, surprise and engage. We encounter cubs as cute as a child's Teddy, grizzlies that look like they might swallow you whole, and Polar bears seated in Sphinx-like tranquility. Full-grown brown bears, grizzlies, black bears, Polar bears, and bear cubs are photographed on location against a portrait backdrop.

About The Author:
Jill Greenberg regularly shoots advertising and celebrity portrait photography for such clients as Dreamworks, Sony Pictures, HBO, Bacardi, Rolling Stone, Time and Newsweek. She is a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design and began her career in New York City. Jill now resides in Los Angeles with her husband Robert and children.



Audio and Video




My Review:

This is one of the most beautiful books I have ever seen. The photos of these bears are so vibrant and they pop off the page. The lighting helps to display phenomonal details that you would never see when you observe bears in the wild or in a zoo setting. Although I am sure I would never in a million years get close enough to a bear to get the detail Greenberg did, I am grateful she did. I also love the quotes from a variety of sources, as I feel it adds to the atmosphere of the book.

The photographs showed a wonderful display of emotions that I never thought I would see in an animal. Thank you to Jill Greenberg for allowing me to learn something through such a majestic animal as the bear.

Both of my daughters loved looking at this book with me (they are three and 16 months) and in fact I had to go through the book with my oldest daughter tonight before bed. She asked for the "big book of bears" whenever she wants me to "read" it to her. She loves that each bear has its own name (in the back of the book) and she loves to make up her own stories about each bear! Though a book primarily designed for adults, I truly believe that this is a great tool to use with preschoolers to encourage language development and to learn about the animal world.

This book would be a wonderful gift for any nature or animal lover in your life.

BUY IT: This book can be purchased from Amazon.com and Amazon.ca - also, check your local bookseller for availability of this book in your area.


****Thank you to Anna and Hachette Book Group for sending me a complimentary copy of Bear Portraits, for the purpose of review on this blog****

No comments:

Post a Comment