Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Just Breeze Blog Tour & Review





About The Author:


Beverly S. McClure started her writing career early—though she approached it kicking and screaming—when her eighth-grade teacher sent her poem “Stars” to a high school anthology and it was published in Young America Sings. She graduated from Midwestern State University and became a teacher. As soon as she discovered Dr. Seuss and other great children’s stories, she willingly put pen to paper and had stories and articles published in Ladybug, Focus on the Family Clubhouse Jr., U. S. Kids, Jack and Jill and other leading children’s magazines, including an article that was reprinted in a Scott Foresman Pre-K anthology and a breakout article that appeared in the June 2007 issue of Writer magazine.
A multi-published author, Beverly’s Listen to the Ghost, Secrets I Have Kept and Rebel in Blue Jeans are available in trade paperback. Her latest book is Just Breeze, and she has four more books under contract. A member of the National Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and their North Texas Chapter, Beverly is the mother of three grown boys and lives in the country with her husband, Jack, where an occasional deer, skunk, or armadillo come to visit.

Visit Beverly at http://beverlystowemcclure.wordpress.com



About The Book:

Eighth grade starts out the same as every other year for Breeze Brannigan. She’s still the tallest student, boy or girl, in her class, wears shoes that would fit an elephant, and her smile reveals dazzling braces that blind everyone within ten feet. She also has to deal with the dented fender on her sister’s VW that they paint to cover up and the new girl in school, Allison, who likes to steal boyfriends. Breeze isn’t concerned. She’s everybody’s bud. No boy is interested in her.
Then there’s Cam, AKA Carlomango Christiano y Moises, who Breeze thinks must be from another planet because none of the boys At Whispering Springs Middle School are that polite. He also has a secret, a secret that could mean life or death for Cam and his mother, a secret Breeze must help him keep.


An Excerpt:

The halls of Whispering Springs Middle School rang with laughter, joking, and teasing. High-pitched chatter and friendly shouts of greeting ricocheted off the walls. Locker doors clanged open, clattered shut. A banner reading GO COYOTES fluttered from the ceiling. The smell of freshly waxed floors stung my nostrils.
I sighed. My first day in eighth grade started out the same as seventh grade, sixth grade, fifth grade, and all the way back to kindergarten. Unless a new student had enrolled, I was still the tallest person, boy or girl, in my whole school.

And my feet … I yanked open the locker door and stuffed my gym shoes, or rather my canoes, inside. I wasn’t about to let anyone see they’d fit an elephant, with room to spare. My feet were trying to set a record for gianthood and doing a good job of it. Turn green with envy, Sasquatch. I bet your feet never grew two sizes in one summer. I made a mental note to walk carefully so not to tromp on other kids’ toes and break their bones. Eew. Painful.

 My Review:

I have never read any of Beverley Stowe McClure's previous works but after reading Just Breeze, I will definitely do so. Just Breeze is a wonderfully written book that takes a look at the time of life most of us want to forget...adolescence. I could totally relate to the character of Breeze, as I was the girl with glasses and braces and always trying to fit in with the kids around me.  The characters are well developed and the writing makes the reader feel that they are right in the scene. Honestly, I think this book would make a really cute "coming of age" scene play, like My Girl. Just Breeze is an easy to read book (I read it in only a couple of hours) and is perfect for the 10-15 years age group.

Just Breeze would be the perfect read for the young girl in  your life. And with Christmas just around the corner, I would highly recommend this as a fantastic stocking stuffer.

BUY IT: You can purchase your copy of Just Breeze from Amazon.com and Amazon.ca 

****Thank you to Pump Up Your Book Promotions and Beverley Stowe McClure for sending me a complimentary copy of Just Breeze for the purpose of review and participating in a blog tour****

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great review! I love Bev's work and this is some of her finest.

    Merry Christmas to you and your readers.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Shirley, for hosting me today. I'm sorry I'm so late responding but my hubby is in the hospital and I've been there all day.

    Also, the review is great. I appreciate your kind comments.

    Beverly

    Breeze here. Ditto what my writer said. I'm glad you enjoyed reading my story.

    Just Breeze

    ReplyDelete
  3. The review is right on. Thanks for giving Just Breeze such a good boost.

    Oh, Amazon is NOT the only place to get the book. It is available through any bookstore, and until Dec. 20, it can be ordered with a 15% discount from http://4rvpublishingllc.com online bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want to say what a great blog you got here!
    I've been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work!

    Thumbs up, and keep it going!

    Cheers
    Christian, iwspo.net

    ReplyDelete