Friday, January 22, 2010

Dug Down Deep Blog Tour & Review


About The Book:


What will you build your life on?

With startling transparency, Joshua Harris shares how we can rediscover the relevance and power of Christian truth. This is book shows a young man who rose quickly to success in the Christian evangelical world before he realized his spirituality lacked a foundation—it rested more on tradition and morality than on an informed knowledge of God.

For the indifferent or spiritually numb, Harris's humorous and engaging reflections on Christian beliefs show that orthodoxy isn't just for scholars—it is for anyone who longs to know the living Jesus Christ. As Harris writes, "I've come to learn that theology matters. It matters not because we want to impress people, but because what we know about God shapes the way we think and live. Theology matters because if we get it wrong then our whole life will be wrong."

Whether you are just exploring Christianity or you are a veteran believer finding yourself overly familiar and cold-hearted, Dug Down Deep will help you rediscover the timeless truths of Scripture. As Harris challenges you to root your faith and feelings about God in the person, work, and words of Jesus, he answers questions such as:

What is God like and how does he speak to me?What difference does it make that Jesus was both human and divine?How does Jesus's death on the cross pay for my sins?Who is the Holy Spirit and how does he work in my life?
With grace and wisdom, Harris will inspire you to revel in the truth that has captured his own mind and heart. He will ask you to dig deep into a faith so solid you can build your life on it. He will point you to something to believe in again.


You can read an excerpt of Dug Down Deep here.




About The Author:


Joshua Harris is senior pastor of Covenant Life in Gaithersburg , Maryland , which belongs to the Sovereign Grace network of local churches. A passionate speaker with a gift for making theological truth easy to understand, Joshua is perhaps best known for his runaway bestseller, I Kissed Dating Goodbye, which he wrote at the age of twenty-one. His later books include Boy Meets Girl, Sex Is Not the Problem (Lust Is), and Stop Dating the Church. The founder of the NEXT conferences for young adults, Joshua is committed to seeing the gospel transferred to a new generation of Christians. He and his wife, Shannon, have three children. 

My Review:

I have heard of Joshura Harris for a long time, but have never had the opportunity to read his work. When his debut book, I Kissed Dating Goodbye, was released I had already been married, so never read it. I have heard a lot of great things about it, but it did not fit with where I was in my life stage.

When the opportunity recently came up to read and review his brand new release, Dug Down Deep I jumped at the chance.



Though Dug Down Deep is a very easy read, I read it in three days, it is full of information that I am still processing. In fact I will be going back through it again! If you are looking for a book that dissects foundational Christian theology and doctrine, while teaching from his own personal life, then this is the book for you. Harris makes theses subjects so easy to understand. Basically he takes a lot of the subjects found in traditional theology textbooks (which, from my Bible College days, I remember them being HUGE) and lays them out in a wonderful manner so that new and old Christians alike, will understand the core of what they believe. 

If you have grown up believing the same thing as your parents, family members and friends, I strongly encourage you to read this book and learn how to discover your own faith. Once you discover your faith in God as it should be, you will wonder why it took you so long. I know I did. For so long I believed, and knew I was a Christian, but alot of what I believed is what I was told to....I did not decided on my own about doctrine, theology, etc. 

Just as Joshua Harris went on his journey to deepen his relationship with the Lord, I too am on that same type of journey. Not close to being done, but this book has definitely been an asset and great tool for the path I am on.



I highly recommend this book and give it a thumbs up!


BUY IT: You can purchase Dug Down Deep by Joshua Harris online directly at Waterbrook Multnomah or at your local Christian bookseller. 


***Thank you to Waterbrook Multnomah for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review****

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way after reading this. I definitely will be going through it again. Thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete