Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Language of Love & Respect Book Review


About The Book:

An in-depth study of why your communication styles are not wrong, just different!

Finally an answer for the number one problem in marriages—communication! This analysis of the vital principles of cross-gender communication helps couples recognize they speak two different languages. They are sending each other messages in "code" but won't be able to crack that code until they realize that she listens to hear the language of love and he listens for respect. 

Most advice on this subject fails to understand that husbands and wives are wired very differently, and when those wires get crossed, the communication sparks can fly!

Dr. Eggerich's best-selling book, Love and Respect, launched a revolution in how couples relate to each other. In The Language of Love and Respect he shares how that message can be applied. 

Formerly titled Cracking the Communication Code.

About The Author:

Emerson Eggerichs and his wife Sarah travel the country conducting the Love and Respect marriage conferences. Before launching Love and Respect Ministries, Emerson was senior pastor of Trinity Church in East Lansing, Michigan for nearly 20 years. Emerson received his B.A. in Biblical Studies and M.A. in Communications from Wheaton College and Graduate School. He was later awarded a Master of Divinity degree from Dubuque Seminary, and a Ph.D. in Child and Family Ecology from Michigan State University. Married since 1973, he and Sarah have three adult children. He is the president of Love and Respect Ministries and author of the best-selling book Love and Respect.

My Review:

I have previously read Eggerich's top selling book, Love and Respect a few years ago and loved it! So when my husband and I had the opportunity to attend a Love & Respect workshop at our former church, we jumped at the chance. At that time we had been married for approximently nine years and we learned SO much from it. We have always had a healthy marriage, but yet through Eggerich's book and workshop we learned so many more effective ways to improve our marriage.

Eggerich states in his book that communication problems are the biggest cause for marriage problems and I have to agree. If you cannot communicate properly, you can grow and improve. If you or your spouse is not
willing to do this, you marriage is very well doomed. In order to fix things you have to communicate, plain and simple.

When I found out that I could review The Language of Love and Respect through Thomas Nelson's Blogger Review Program, I jumped at the opportunity. However, after reading it I have to be honest and say I was a bit underwhelmed by it.

In reality,  in the first part of The Language of Love and Respect has a lot of info that can be found in the first Love & Respect book. That said, the last part of the book had many new ideas that my husband and I could relate to and use in our marriage. 

The one piece of information that has impacted me and allowed me to look at my husband and our marriage differently is this: you must remember that your words need to honor God first, regardless of whether your spouse in fact deserves it (a paraphrase). My husband may have done or said something to offend me, but if I am not honorable in my response, I am directly disobeying Ephesians 5.

This book is full of real life experiences to draw from and I highly recommend this book to be read by any couple, whether you are seriously dating, engaged, newlywed or been married a long time. It is a great refresher on communication and I love that it is highly Biblically based.


BUY IT: You can purchase The Language of Love & Respect directly from Thomas Nelson, as well as from your local Christian Bookseller. It is also available on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com

***I received a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review on this blog. My review is an honest opinion and has not been influenced by the publisher in any manner***

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a good book. Thanks for sharing the review.

    ReplyDelete