Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Abigail: A Book Review

About This Book:

What price must she pay for true love?

Her days marked by turmoil and faded dreams, Abigail has resigned herself to a life with a man she does not love. But when circumstances offer her a second chance at happiness with the handsome David, she takes a leap of faith to join his wandering tribe. Still, her struggles are far from over. How can she share his love with the other women he insists on marrying? 

Abigail follows the bestselling Michal and continues Jill Eileen Smith's rich story of David's wives

You can read an excerpt of Abigail here in PDF format.

You can check out a Bible Study based on this book here.

If you are in a Book Club and would like a reading guide for this book, click here.

About The Author:


Jill Eileen Smith has more than twenty years of writing experience, and her writing has garnered acclaim in several contests. Her research into the lives of David's wives has taken her from the Bible to Israel, and she particularly enjoys learning how women lived in Old Testament times. Jill is the author of the bestselling Michal and lives with her family in southeast Michigan.

My Review:

If you love historical Christian fiction, you will love Abigail: A Novel by Jill Eileen Smith.

From the very first pages Smith transports the reader into Biblical times with a very easy, and quick, read. It is very evident in the writing that the author did her research for this book. From the culture to the place of women during Biblical times, all historical references seem very accurate and authentic.

The book is written in such a way that you feel you are right there experiencing everything that Abigail and her character is brought to life in an amazing manner.

I have not read the first book in Smith's series, The Wives of King David, but I was definitely impressed enough by this, the second book, that I will definitely be heading to my church library to see if they have it. If not, it will be a trip to my local Christian bookstore for sure! I highly recommend this book!

BUY IT: This book is available at your favorite bookseller. It is also available online through Revell Books, Amazon.com and Amazon.ca


****A complimentary copy of this book was provided for by Graf-Martian and Revell Books, a division of Baker House Publishing, in return for a review on this blog****

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to read this book. Our library has it. Maybe I'll get it soon.

    I'm adding your blog to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe I've ever read (or heard of-lol) historical christian fiction. I've been reading way too many political books lately, maybe it'll do my heart good to give a book like this a shot! Thanks for the great review!

    Bridgette Groschen

    ReplyDelete