Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Daniel Fast: Book Review

About The Book:

What if you could grow closer to God and improve your health in just 21 days?

Susan Gregory, “The Daniel Fast Blogger,” has a plan to help you do just that. Widely recognized as the expert on this 21-day fast inspired by the book of Daniel, Susan has helped thousands of people discover a safe and healthy way to fast.

The principles you learn from The Daniel Fast will change the way you view food, your body, and your relationship with the one who created you. Includes 21 days’ worth of Daniel Fast recipes!

Visit www.daniel-fast.com

You can read the first chapter of The Daniel Fast here (PDF File)

About The Author:

Known as “The Daniel Fast Blogger” since December 2007, Susan Gregory regularly corresponds with thousands of men and women who are seeking God through the spiritual discipline of prayer and fasting.

Since its launch, her site has received more than 1 million hits. Susan has written for nationally-known preachers and ministries including Charles Swindoll, Focus on the Family, Campus Crusade for Christ, and several third-world relief and development organizations.

The author of Out of the Rat Race, Susan has spent many years as a Bible teacher and as a volunteer in her church and in various Christian and civic service groups in the greater Seattle area. In addition, her work has taken her to more than thirty countries. A mother and grandmother, she lives on a small farm in Central Washington.

My Review:

This is probably one of the best books I have read on fasting. Though I have never done a fast before, after reading The Daniel Fast by Susan Gregory, I have realized just how important fasting is in the life of a Christian. Due to recently being diagnosed with Diabetes, I will not do a fast right away. But once I have gotten my blood sugar levels under control and have a good idea of the foods I can and cannot eat, I will definitely consider doing a Daniel Fast. As with any dietary restrictions, please speak with your doctor before participating in this or any other fast.

First, I loved the fact that Gregory explains what a fast is and is not. Though I have been a Christian for a very long time, and have been familiar with the practice of fasting, this was a wonderful review for me. It would be a very good introduction to fasting for those unfamiliar with the practice.

Second, I love the recipes that she includes for use during the 21 day fast. These are just a few of the recipes featured in the book, and I have tried each of these. They are fantastic, and so easy to make!

Apple Pie Oatmeal
Quick Slow Cooker Veggie Soup
Golden Carrot Soup
Herb Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
Third, I love that there is so much scripture within the book itself. As I read the book, almost every point the author made, she backed up with scripture and I love that! When I read a Christian book, there are many that make valid books but when I want scripture to help me go deeper in my study, there are none to be found. This book is definitely not that kind of book. It is loaded with scriptural references. For example....

"The Lord formed us in His image and we are to praise Him with our whole being, as it states in Psalms 139, we are fearfully and wonderfully made. As such, we need to take care of our bodies according to 1 Corinthians 6:19 "or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God and you are not your own!" (pp. 51-53)

Finally, I love that Susan Gregory includes her 21 days of devotions that correspond with the Daniel Fast. I have actually gone through a couple of the days and they are so encouraging. This is one point made in Day 16 that has really resonated with me, "The more you feed your spirit with the Word of God, the better you will find that you care for your soul and body. Make sure your spirit is well fed, and then carefully choose the food you present to your soul and your body. Thats the way to health in all areas of your life" (p.244)

If you want to be challenged in your Christian faith then I highly recommend this book! It will challenge and change you!

BUY IT: The Daniel Fast can be purchased through your favorite local Christian bookstore, and is also available on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca

***Thank you to Tyndale House Publishers for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review on this blog***

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review! I will certainly have to look for this book!

    ReplyDelete