Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent Begins!

So today is Ash Wednesday, and thus Lent begins...and many people will think about things to "give up" or fast from during the next 40 days before Easter Sunday. I have spent a lot of today thinking of what I want to give up. There were the traditional things like TV, computer time, Facebook, etc but really I wanted to do something with a bit more substance.

One of the mandate God requires of His followers is to take care of the earth. So for the next 40 days I am going to go on a Carbon Fast. I already do a lot of things that would be considered "green living", however, I have noticed in the last little while, I have been very lax in the "green" department. So over the next 40 days here are some of the things that I am going to do while on my Carbon Fast:

1. Buy "local" as much as possible

2. Use my reusable bags versus plastic. I already use them, but often forget about them, when running to the store, "for just a few things"...I am planning to not obtain any plastic bags over the next 40 days of Lent

3. Turn off lights when not needed (which again I do, but not as often as I should)

4. Use my dryer as little as possible....which right now in Canada is a little difficult with it being winter, but I am going to try to make it work

5. Turn down my thermostat by 2 degrees....at 20 degrees during the day and 15 at night.

What are you giving up during this 2010 season of Lent?

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by to say thanks for commenting on my recipe binder on Trendy Treehouse! ~Lanie

    P.S. You can also visit me at http://laniejandco.blogspot.com

    P.P.S. I am a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I'm giving up my Facebook games. I know I spend entirely too much time playing them!

    ReplyDelete