So today is Ash Wednesday, and thus Lent begins...and many people will think about things to "give up" or fast from during the next 40 days before Easter Sunday. I have spent a lot of today thinking of what I want to give up. There were the traditional things like TV, computer time, Facebook, etc but really I wanted to do something with a bit more substance.
One of the mandate God requires of His followers is to take care of the earth. So for the next 40 days I am going to go on a Carbon Fast. I already do a lot of things that would be considered "green living", however, I have noticed in the last little while, I have been very lax in the "green" department. So over the next 40 days here are some of the things that I am going to do while on my Carbon Fast:
1. Buy "local" as much as possible
2. Use my reusable bags versus plastic. I already use them, but often forget about them, when running to the store, "for just a few things"...I am planning to not obtain any plastic bags over the next 40 days of Lent
3. Turn off lights when not needed (which again I do, but not as often as I should)
4. Use my dryer as little as possible....which right now in Canada is a little difficult with it being winter, but I am going to try to make it work
5. Turn down my thermostat by 2 degrees....at 20 degrees during the day and 15 at night.
What are you giving up during this 2010 season of Lent?