Thursday, March 25, 2010

Here Burns My Candle: Blog Tour & Review

About The Book:

A mother who cannot face her future.
A daughter who cannot escape her past.

Lady Elisabeth Kerr is a keeper of secrets. A Highlander by birth and a Lowlander by marriage, she honors the
auld ways, even as doubts and fears stir deep within her.

    Her husband, Lord Donald, has secrets of his own, well hidden from the household, yet whispered among the town gossips. 

    His mother, the dowager Lady Marjory, hides gold beneath her floor and guilt inside her heart. Though her two abiding passions are maintaining her place in society and coddling her grown sons, Marjory’s many regrets, buried in Greyfriars Churchyard, continue to plague her.

    One by one the Kerr family secrets begin to surface, even as bonny Prince Charlie and his rebel army ride into Edinburgh in September 1745, intent on capturing the crown. 

    A timeless story of love and betrayal, loss and redemption, flickering against the vivid backdrop of eighteenth-century Scotland ,
Here Burns My Candle illumines the dark side of human nature, even as hope, the brightest of tapers, lights the way home.


You can read an excerpt of Here Burns My Candle here, in PDF format.

About The Author:


LIZ CURTIS HIGGS is the author of twenty-seven books with three million copies in print, including: her best-selling historical novels, Thorn in My Heart, Fair Is the Rose, Christy Award-winner Whence Came a Prince, and Grace in Thine Eyes, a Christy Award finalist; My Heart’s in the Lowlands: Ten Days in Bonny Scotland, an armchair travel guide to Galloway; and her contemporary novels, Mixed Signals, a Rita Award finalist, and Bookends, a Christy Award finalist. Visit the author’s extensive website at www.lizcurtishiggs.com.

My Review:

Although I have read a number of Liz Curtis Higss nonfiction books, Here Burns My Candle is the first fiction book I have read by her. I loved this book so much! It is amazing to me how many Scottish based historical fiction I have read recently (this is the third such book in a couple weeks), and Higgs does this genre a huge benefit with her novel. 

This book is huge, comprising over 450 pages, but I was taken by the very first chapter, and read the book in only two days! This book is filled with wonderful story lines of relationships, war, forgiveness, marriages issues, and faith in God. I love books that bring the Bible to life and Higgs has written about the Book of Ruth in a wonderful, fantastic manner. She brings the reader right into the novel with her well researched history of  18th Century Scotland, and the very well developed characters. Although I did not read the other Historical Scottish books by Liz Curtis Higgs, I certainly have put them on my TBR (to-be-read) list and I am eagerly anticipating the final chapter in the lives of Marjory and Elisabeth in Mine Is The Night, when it is released in Spring 2011.

I highly recommend this to anyone who loves historical fiction and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Here Burns My Candle online, directly on the WaterBrook Multnomah website. It is also available through Amazon.ca and Amazon.com, as well as through your local Christian Bookseller, as of March 2010.

WIN IT: One (1) reader will win a copy of Here Burns My Candle


TO ENTER: Head over to WaterBrook Multnomah and tell me one book you would love to read.


EXTRA ENTRIES:


1. Follow This Blog


2. Grab my button


3. Subscribe via email


4. Follow me on Twitter


GIVEAWAY OPEN TO U.S. AND CANADA ONLY


GIVEAWAY ENDS APRIL 7, 2010

***Thank you to WaterBrook Multnomah for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of an honest, and original review on this blog***

25 comments:

  1. I would love to read Hear No Evil.

    misusedinnocence@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read Start Here by Alex and Brett Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an e-mail subscriber. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to read An Absence So Great. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I subscribe by email.
    dorcontest at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I follow on google friend...dor

    dorcontest at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to read An Absence So Great.

    dorcontest at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to read God Gave Us You by Lisa T. Bergren to my grandson.

    Thank you,

    Christine
    womackcm@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I follow you on Twitter.

    Thank you,

    Christine
    womackcm@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I subscribe via email.

    Thank you,

    Christine
    womackcm@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. I follow this blog.

    Thank you,

    Christine
    womackcm@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another WaterBrook Multnomah book I'd love to read is Wild Goos Chase by Mark Batterson. wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I subscribe via email.
    wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a follower of your blog.
    wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to read Tamara Leigh's new book Leaving Carolina. All the reviews I have seen for Here Burns My Candle have been great. You should think about reading a book from her last fiction series. gasweetheart211[at]netscape[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to read the Great Divide by T.Davis Bunn. Please enter me. Thanks!

    ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I subscribe via email.

    ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  18. I follow your blog.

    ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would like to read Hear No Evil.

    dawnpnr(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I follow on twitter @dawnpnr

    dawnpnr(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I subscribe via email.

    dawnpnr(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I follow this blog.

    dawnpnr(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete