Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Raccoon Tales: Blog Tour


About The Book:

Raccoon Tales is the true-life journey in the first year of the lives of these little “wash bears.” Written in easy-to-read verse, author, Joy DeKok, tells the story with tenderness and energy. Readers will leave the story glad they came, knowing more about raccoons, and what a wild animal rescue and release looks like. Illustrator Leslie Helen Colwin’s art brings the story to life.



About The Author:

Joy is an author, national speaker, and author coach. From the time she was a little girl, she wanted to write for children. She has three published children’s books, a novel, and a devotional. You’re invited to visit her website at: www.believe4kids.com.

Read an Excerpt:

Five baby raccoons lost their mother one day, They needed help and a safe place to stay.
They were tiny, and their eyes were shut tight,
I wondered if they would be all right.
I held them close and promised I’d try
To give each of them a chance at life.
We fed them and gave them a place to play.
Then we sat nearby and started to pray,
“Lord, please keep them in Your care,
And thank You for these little “wash-bears”!
They snuggled into their blankets that night,
And we whispered, “Sweet dreams and sleep tight.”
Baby raccoons need lots of sleep.
They would yawn and pile into a furry heap.
Later, they’d purr and churr and cry out loud,
Letting us know they wanted out!
They’d enjoy a snack of warm milk and rice,
And thought being held was especially nice.

My Review:

What an absolutely adorable book. I have had the pleasure of reading Joy DeKok's work previously and was very excited to review her new children's book.

Raccoon Tales is beautifully illustrated, telling a true life story about rescuing and releasing raccoons, and I love that it is divided up into four different smaller "stories or chapters" within one book. My daughter, who is three, loves this book and we have read it a number of times.

I love that it is filled with scripture verses and also gives great facts about raccoons. This will definitely be a book that will be read around our home for a long time to come. It is written for children ages 4-8 but as I mentioned earlier, my three year old enjoys reading it with me, and we usually just read a section at a time.

If you have animal lovers in your home, then you will love this book. I highly recommend it and give it a huge thumbs up!


BUY IT: You can purchase Raccoon Tales directly from Joy DeKok's children's website, Believe 4 Kids.

***Thank you to the publisher, author, and Cheryl @ Pump Up Your Book Promotions, for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review on this blog***

2 comments:

  1. Isn't this book adorable? My youngest really loved it. One of the best things about Joy's work is that she uses personal experiences to create her stories.

    Thanks for the wonderful review.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful book. I love reading and I am glad I found your site. I found you thru my sister in law Carey at Providence. Look forward to reading more of your blog and hope you have a blessed day. Would love for you to stop by and say hello if you get the chance. I have some great southern recipes and I am doing a giveaway this week! http://kitchenbelleicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete