Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Somewhere To Belong Book Review

About The Book:

Journey inside the picturesque villages of the Amana Colonies, 1877 
 
Johanna Ilg has lived her entire life in Main Amana, one of the seven villages settled by devout Christians who believe in cooperative living, a simple lifestyle, and faithful service to God. Although she's always longed to see the outside world, Johanna believes her future is rooted in Amana. But when she learns a troubling secret, the world she thought she knew is shattered. Is this truly where she belongs? 

Berta Schumacher has lived a privileged life in Chicago, so when her parents decide they want a simpler life in Amana, Iowa, she resists. Under the strictures of the Amana villages, her rebellion reaches new heights. Will her heart ever be content among the plain people of Amana? 

About The Author:


Judith Miller is an award-winning author whose avid research and love for history are reflected in her novels, two of which have placed in the CBA top ten lists. In addition to her writing, Judy is a certified legal assistant. Judy and her husband make their home in Topeka, Kansas. Visit her Web site at www.judithmccoymiller.com.

You can read an excerpt of Somewhere To Belong here.

My Review:

Somewhere To Belong by Judith Miller is the first book by this author that I have read. I loved it, and will definitely be reading more by Miller in the future! Her work is so incredibly detailed and the characters are very well developed. I initially felt that there was not much difference between the Amana and the Amish, but this book definitely set me straight. This book was filled with historically accurate descriptions (I only know that because I did my own research on the Amana) I felt that I was part of the story throughout the book. The storylines keep my interest throughout and the book contained themes such as coming of age, God's love for us, and how we know we are doing what God wants us to do with our life. A great read that I highly recommend.

BUY IT:  You can purchase Somewhere To Belong directly online through Bethany House. It is also available at your favorite bookseller, as of March 2010. It is also available through Amazon.com and Amazon.ca

***Thank you to Bethany House and Graf-Martin for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review on this blog****

No comments:

Post a Comment