Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fix It & Forget It: Book Review

I have to admit first off, I have not always like to cook and bake. In fact, for the first nine years of my marriage, I rarely did the cooking. My husband knew this was not my strong point and he would do it (and he is an awesome cook!). However, after having my kids, I realized that if I don't cook/bake, then nobody is going to eat. I embraced my role as stay-at-home mom about 2 years ago, when we decided that I would stay home full time. I now cook the majority of my meals from scratch and one of my favorite small appliances to use is my crock pot! I love that I can put together an entire meal in the morning and not have to do anything else with it, but enjoy the wonderful smells throughout the day! It makes my life so much easier!

I was recently able to review the cook book, Fix It & Forget It: Revised and Updated Edition! 

The Fix It & Forget It Story:
Phyllis Pellman Good loves food. She's especially concerned for those who don't have enough time to cook, as well as those who lack the confidence to cook.

Phyllis and her husband, Merle, launched the Fix-It and Forget-It franchise in 2000, after many years of publishing popular cookbooks. "Food sustains us, both physically and socially. I want to make it possible to prepare food at home, despite our hectic lives, and to be able to share it together.

The Fix-It and Forget-It cookbooks make it possible to prepare nutritious, tasty meals every day.
  • You can make Welcome-Home food in a matter of minutes.
  • Each cookbook's pages are packed with recipes. Each cookbook has between 500 and 800 recipes.
  • The books sell for peanuts!
  • The recipes call for just a few ingredients -- and they're readily available.
  • Many of the recipes are offered in multiple variations. Find the one that suits your taste -- and for the ingredients which you have on hand.
  • Preparations are easy; the ingredients are reasonably priced.
  • The food you dish out of your slow cooker is delicious, healthy -- and satisfying.
  • Everybody eats well -- without the cook being under pressure.
  • Everyone goes away from the table happy -- with little preparation time or shopping money spent.
  • Little fuss. Lots of flavor!
About Fix It and Forget It - Revised & Updated Edition:

The book has already sold more than 5 million copies, so we didn't want to spoil it! We have only added a few enhancements to this original cookbook in the wildly claimed Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook series:
  1. Brand New: 100 new recipes for slow cookers.

  2. Brand New: "Prep Time," "Cooking Time," and "Ideal Slow-Cooker Size" are included for each recipe.

  3. Brand New: 4 pages of basic and very helpful "Extra Information":

    • "Substitute Ingredients for When You're in a Pinch"
    • "Equivalent Measurements"
    • "Kitchen Tools and Equipment You May Have Overlooked"
    • "Assumptions about Ingredients in Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook, Revised and Updated"

  4. Brand New: 1 page of "Tips for Using Your Slow Cooker: a Friendly, Year-Round Appliance."

  5. Brand New: Additional tips and tricks for making the most of your slow cooker, spread throughout the book.

  6. Brand New: A second color -- a rich purple -- for recipe titles, contributors' names and addresses, the words "Tip" and "Variation," and the numbered instruction steps.

  7. Brand New: The drawings on the opening pages of chapters and the spot illustrations throughout.

  8. Brand New: 1 page of tip-in color, right inside the front cover.

  9. Brand New: 2 pages of review excerpts to position the original book's success, immediately following the tip-in page of color.

  10. Revised: An improved Index!

  11. Revised: A personal Introduction to the book by author Phyllis Pellman Good.

  12. Revised: Good's personal comments and voice throughout the recipes.
We've learned a lot since the original Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook first quietly appeared. Now you and your customers can benefit with this new edition of the beloved favorite -- Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook REVISED and UPDATED!


My Review:

I have seen the original Fix It & Forget It book as several friends and family own it, but I have never had the pleasure to use it, until now. What an awesome cookbook! In the two weeks I have had this book, I have used five recipes from Fix It and Forget It. They are the following:

1. Tasty Meatball Stew (p. 35)
2. Gone All Day Casserole (p. 85)
3. California Chicken (p. 178)
4. Easy Teriyaki Chicken (p. 181)
5. Easy Chicken A La King (p. 184)

All five of these recipes were incredibly easy to prepare and tasted very good! The temperatures and times posted in recipes for cooking were exact and needed no adjusting with my personal crockpot. That said, each one is different and therefore, you may need to adjust your own according to recipes.

Here is just one of the recipes that I would like to share with you.

Gone All Day Chicken

1 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
2 4oz cans mushrooms, drained
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3 beef bouillon cubes
2.5 tsp seasoned salt
2lb boneless round steak, cut into  1 inch cubes
3 cups water

1. Place ingredients in order listed in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until rice is tender. Stir before serving

Variations:

1. Brown beef in saucepan in 2 tbsp oil before putting in slow cooker for deeper flavor
2. Add a bay leaf and 4-6 whole peppercorns to mixture before cooking. Remove before serving
3. Substitute chicken legs and thighs (skin removed) for beef.

The above recipe was very yummy, and really does not need anything else added to it. Your meal is complete when cooked as above. However, I did add a nice green salad for the extra vegetables!

The book is is divided into the following sections:

1. Appetizers, Snacks and Spreads
2. Breakfast Foods
3. Breads
4. Soups, Stews and Chilis
5. Main Dishes (Beef, Pork, Pasta, Chicken & Turkey, Bean, Seafood, Meatless & Other)
6. Vegetables
7. Desserts
8. Beverages


I also love all the new additions to this editions to Fix It and Forget it, like the "What To Substitute", "Basic Slow Cooker Info" and so much more! The book is very well organized and easy to follow! Bright color pictures and tips throughout the book add to its attractiveness. I also love that there is a whole series of the Fix It and Forget It Books, including a Diabetic Cooking one! Very handy, since I am diabetic, and I am definitely going to be purchasing that one in the future.


If you like to prep meals ahead of time or want to start using your crock pot more often, then I highly recommend this book! It would be a wonderful bridal shower gift, or even a baby shower gift as it can meal prep for new moms so much easier! I give this book a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Fix It and Forget It: Updated & Revised Edition online, through Amazon.com and Amazon.ca

***Thank you to FSB Media for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review on this blog*** 

1 comment: