Sunday, May 30, 2010

Personal Post: Weight Loss Journey

As many of you know, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in January 2010. At that time I weighed 188lb, and I am only 5'2"....so just a tad overweight. Well actually, according to my BMI and my doctor, obese! I not only had the diagnosis of diabetes to think about, but my cholestoreal was borderline high, and some of my other bloodwork was also borderline high. My doctor wanted me to try to control everything by adding more exercise and diet control into my lifestyle, so that is what I did. If not, it would be meds and because I am only 37, she did not want me to go that route yet!

Now it is almost June and about a month ago, I got the best news! Not only have I lost 25lb, but I have brought all my levels to normal, including my blood sugar!!! I have been able to reverse my high blood sugar! Yes, I will always be diabetic, but at this time it is controlled!! WOO HOO!

As of today I weigh 164lb, and will do a post in about 30 days and give you the new weight, and how the month went.

That said, I still have about 40lb to lose and I am going to keep track of my weight loss journey here on my blog. Here is how I have been able to be successful thus far:

1. Getting Active 

I have been working out using the Wii Console. Specifically, I have been using Wii Fit Plus and love it. I also have My Fitness Coach and Gold's Gym Cardio. The last two are not my favorites, and therefore I hardly use them. But I LOVE Wii FIT PLUS!!!

Since January, I have been working out 3-5 days a week for between 30-60 minutes each, and its been good, but I think I was hitting a plateau because I seemed to not be getting anywhere with weight loss. Clothes are feeling better, etc but weight has not dropped (but gaining muscle for sure!) So decided to step it up a notch!

Today my husband picked up EA Sports Active and I think I have found a new favorite way to work out! It has so many different sports to do! I also set up the 30 Day Challenge and completed Day 1 tonight! I worked out for about an hour tonight, and feel good!

I will be doing the challenge for the next 30 days and keeping you all updated periodically!

If you are trying to loss weight, or just get more active, I highly recommend the Wii. Its a great introduction to a workout routine and getting yourself active!

My next exercise goal occurs on June 23! I registered myself in a 5KM walk and I am so excited. It is my first event of the year and I am looking forward to it! My ultimate goal is to hopefully walk/run a 1/2 marathon sometime next year. I will keep you posted:)

2. Nutrition

Exercise has been a big part of my weight loss journey, however nutrition has played an even bigger role. I have made small changes, but they have had HUGE impacts! Not only to help reverse my diabetes but help me shed pounds and feel so awesome!

I have gone from buying a lot of processed, pre-made stuff, to doing almost entirely all homemade meals. I also cut out almost all added sugar, switched from white pasta to whole wheat, brown breads instead of white, reading labels like crazy, and most importantly PORTION CONTROL! I did not realize how big of portions I was really eating all these years. Wow, its amazing what you find out, when you really take the time to watch.

So there you have it, in a nutshell, the start of my journey to a healthier me! I am so glad that I have taken this step. Not only am I getting healthy but I am setting a great example to my young children, and influencing my hubby too! My 3.5 year old even does Wii Fit with me (she loves the yoga and ski jumping - so cute!)

If you have been procrastinating getting healthy, just do it! Get healthy...if not for you, for your loved ones. You want to be around for them right?


THOUGHTS: I would love to know...what are some of your health goals for the rest of this year? Health tips?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, that is so awesome! How much fun is it to see all those clothes in your closet be too big on you?!! Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete