Friday, August 27, 2010

Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married: Book Review

About The Book:

Most people spend far more time in preparation for their vocation than they do in preparation for marriage,” Dr. Gary Chapman

No wonder the divorce rate hovers around fifty percent.

Bestselling author and marriage counselor, Gary Chapman, hopes to change that with his newest book. Gary, with more than 35 years of counseling couples, believes that divorce is the lack of preparation for marriage and the failure to learn the skills of working together as intimate teammates.

So he put together this practical little book, packed with wisdom and tips that will help many develop the loving, supportive and mutually beneficial marriage men and women long for. It’s the type of information Gary himself wished he had before he got married.

This is not a book simply to be read. It is a book to be experienced. The material lends itself to heart-felt discussions by dating or engaged couples. To jump-start the exchanges, each short chapter includes insightful “Talking it Over” questions and suggestions. And, the book includes information on interactive websites as well as books that will enhance the couples experience.

Dr. Chapman even includes a thought-provoking appendix. By understanding and balancing the five key aspects of life, dating couples can experience a healthy dating relationship. A revealing learning exercise for dating couples is included at the end.


About The Author:

Gary Chapman is the author of the New York Times bestselling The Five Love Languages book and series. With more than 35 years of pastoring and marriage counseling experience, he travels the world presenting seminars to couples who want to improve their marriage relationship. He is host of the weekly radio program Building Relationships with Dr. Gary Chapman, which airs on more than 250 stations. For information, visitFiveLoveLanguages.com.


My Review:

I am a big fan of Gary Chapman's "Five Love Languages" books and philosophy, and was highly anticipating his upcoming release, Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married. It did not disappoint. Written in an easy-to-read, conversational manner, you will discover that being married is so much more than planning a wedding. Topics discussed in this book include forgiveness, apologizing, how to argue, marrying into a family, personality differences, having a healthy dating relationship in your marriage, and so much more.

Although I have been married almost 13 years to my college sweetheart, I have learned a lot through reading this book. One chapter that has resonated to me the most is the chapter on forgiveness, and how important it is in a relationship. Recently forgiveness has been at the forefront of my marriage, and I realize that just because forgiveness has occurred, healing and trust building takes time. This is what Chapman says to finish his chapter on the topic of forgiveness:

"Forgiveness is the first step in a processing hurt and restoring love. There are no healthy marriages without sincere apologies and genuine forgiveness. If you learn how to apologize and forgive you will have in place two of the major elements for building a successful marriage." (p.72)

This book is perfect for all married couples, regardless of how long you have been married. It would also be great for engaged couples. Each chapter has a section called, Talking It Over, which is designed to encourage communication between one another.

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married by Gary Chapman online through Moody Publishers. It is also available through your favorite local Christian bookseller.

***I received a complimentary Advance Reader Copy of this book courtesy of Northfield Publishing and Lovell-Fairchild Communication. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

5 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower and nice to meet you. Can't wait to get to know your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already following you but wanted to say congrats on being picked for FFF! Come visit me at Mom of 3 Dolls. I'll have to stop by for the giveaways :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I am a new follower from Fun Friday Follow. Have a blessed weekend :D

    http://giveawaygirly.blogspot.com/2010/08/fun-friday-follow.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha... if only I had this book before I had gotten married... I'm divorced now!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog... I am now following and look forward to reading more of your stuff.
    All the best,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the follow! I love following those who follow Him... been thinking about starting a Christian Blog hop...you think it would work? I find so many other Christians every week.

    ReplyDelete