Monday, September 27, 2010

Chicken Big: Book Review

About The Book:

On a teeny little farm, in an itty-bitty coop, a very small hen laid a big, giant egg. And out of this egg came one big, humongous . . . something. "It's big!" clucked the little rooster. "It's enormous!" clucked the small chicken. "It's an elephant!" peeped the smallest chicken. "Run for your lives!" they cried. No matter how they try, these clueless chickens can't make sense of the gigantic new member of their family—until he saves the day. With wacky, laugh-out- loud humor and silliness to spare, this BIG twist on the classicChicken Little story lends a whole new perspective to what it means to be chicken.

About The Author:


Keith Graves is Professor Emeritus at the Chicken School in Austin, Texas, where he teaches courses in chicken history. Strangely, he has the same name as another guy who wrote the book Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance, as well as some other ridiculous books, but we doubt he's the same guy.


My Review:


This is an adorable re-telling of the story of Chicken Little, and it has been a HUGE hit in my home with both my children, ages four and two years. It is also a favorite of my home daycare children. I love that my children would respond with loud enthusiasm to the questions posed by the smaller chickens in the book. It was so cute. The illustrations are quirky and combine traditional with graphic, and I love how expressive the author made the chickens. It was awesome.But the thing I love best, is the message that "everyone needs to to belong" is portrayed throughout the book. A wonderful lesson for children to learn.


 This book is a perfect Christmas or birthday gift for children of all ages! 


I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!


BUY IT: You can purchase Chicken Big by Keith Graves online here, from Chronicle Books. It is also available through your favorite local bookseller.


****I received a complimentary copy of this book from Chronicle Books, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner****




No comments:

Post a Comment