Friday, October 1, 2010

The Thorn: Book Review



About The Book:

Lancaster County, with its rolling meadows and secret byways, may seem idyllic, but it is not without its thorns. The Rose Trilogy is the stirring saga of two Amish sisters, and the events and decisions that change their lives.
Spirited Rose Ann Kauffman has long enjoyed a close friendship with the bishop's rebellious foster son. Rose's older sister, Hen--who knows more than she should about falling for the wrong man--cautions her against him, but Rose is being courted by another, and so dismisses the warnings.

Hen Kauffman Orringer's impulsive marriage to an outsider divided her from the People, a decision she regrets now that she has a daughter of her own. As Hen struggles to reclaim aspects of Amish culture, her very modern husband pushes back, and the two soon come to an impasse. Can she find a way to reconcile her longing for the Old Ways with the life she has chosen?

Here is an excerpt of The Thorn by Beverly Lewis

Here is the Reading Group Guide for The Thorn by Beverly Lewis

About The Author:

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country, is a former schoolteacher, an accomplished musician, and an award-winning author of more than eighty books for adults and children, many of which have appeared on bestseller lists, including USA Today and The New York Times. Her novel The Brethren won a 2007 Christy Award for excellence in Christian fiction. Writing memorable stories set in Amish farmland brings Beverly continual joy and inspiration. Her own family heritage is Old Order Mennonite, but she has many dear friends among Amish communities in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana. Beverly and her husband, David, live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. For more information, visitwww.beverlylewis.com

My Review:

When I think of Amish Fiction, one of the first comes to my mind is Beverly Lewis. I have read many of her books and have never been disappointed, and was definitely not with this newest release.

The Thorn is full of lovable characters, well-developed story lines and descriptions of Amish living and lifestyle that allows the reader to feel like they are right there! I loved it! The life situations that main characters Rose and Hen experience, although in an Amish setting, are ones that can be related to by everyone, whether you are Amish or not. Am I really in love? Should I stay in this marriage or go back to my traditional roots? What will happen if I do?Do I marry outside my faith? All questions that I am sure many of us can relate to. I cannot wait to see what happens to all the main characters, and see what wonderful secondary characters Lewis develops in this series.

If you are a fan of Beverly Lewis or Amish Fiction I highly recommend The Thorn. If you are a fan of Christian historical fiction, you will also enjoy this book! A great gift idea for the Beverly Lewis pan in your life, especially with the Christmas shopping season coming up!

BUY IT: You can purchase The Thorn by Beverly Lewis online here, directly through Bethany House. It is also available through your local Christian bookseller.

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment