This year I am trying something a little different when it comes to reading holiday season books. I have compiled a list of 25 children's Christmas books, of various lengths. I am going to wrap them, and each day from December 1 - 24th, I will have the girls take turns picking one to unwrap and read together as a family. I hope and pray this is a tradition that will continue for years to come.
You will notice that most of the books teach about the birth of Jesus versus emphasizing Santa. This is done deliberately. Although we have not eliminated the Santa part of Christmas celebrations, my husband and I have chosen to emphasize Christ's birth. We will teach our children, in an age appropriate manner, about the real St. Nicholas, emphasize the importance of giving rather than receiving at Christmas, and the wonderful gift of Jesus born in a stable as a gift to all those who receive it.
Without further delay, here is my Christmas book list. Most of these are all books I currently own. Some I am planning to purchase this year. I am always looking to add to the list, and of course the list will change as the girls grow. Right now, these are mainly board and picture books.
1. If You Take A Mouse To The Movies by Laura Numeroff
2. Santa's Favorite Story by Hisako Aoki
3. God Gave Us Christmas by Lisa T. Bergren
4. The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado
5. That's Not My Angel (an Usborne book, available through your local Usborne Books Consultant)
6. The Nativity (Usborne Touchy Feely Board Book)
7. Twas The Night Before Christmas by Jan Brett
8. The Christmas Baby by Marion Dane Bauer
9. The Christmas Angels by Claire Freedman
10. Hurry! Hurry! Have You Heard by Laura Krauss Melmed and Jane Dyer
11. The Stable Where Jesus Was Born by Rhonda Gowler Green and Susan Gaber
12. Angela and the Baby Jesus by Frank McCourt
13. A Star For Jesus by Crystal Bowman
14. Room For A Little One by Martin Waddell and Jason Cockcroft
15. The Jesus Storybook Bible (will read the selection re: Christmas Story) by Sally Lloyd-Jones
16. The Big Picture Story Bible (read selections relating to Jesus' Birth) by David R. Helm
17. The Legend Of The Candy Cane by Lori Walburg
18. Listen Said The Donkey: Tales Of The First Christmas (5 stories) by Jean Little
19. Jacob's Gift by Max Lucado
20. The Legend Of St. Nicholas by Dandi Daley Mackall
21. What Is Christmas? by Michelle Medlock Adams
22. The Baby Bible Christmas Storybook by Robin Currie
23. Little Shepard by Cheryl G. Malandrinos
24. J Is For Jesus by Crystal Bowman
25. Jesus, Me and My Christmas Tree by Crystal Bowman
QUESTION: What are some of your favorite Christmas books for children?
*All links must link directly to a winter/holiday entertaining post. Links to main pages will be deleted. All linked posts must include our giveaway button. Any posts without our button in them will be deleted. Winner will be chosen using random.org. from all eligible (remaining) links and announced on www.parkerpronline.com on Nov. 11, 2010 and winner will also be contacted via comment on winning post. Winner will then have 72 hours to submit their contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to claim the prize package. If not claimed, a new winner will be selected from remaining eligible links.