Thursday, November 11, 2010

Holiday Gift Guide Day 10: The Magic Violin Review

About The Book:


Eight-year old Melina wants to become a good violinist. When she loses confidence, her Rumanian teacher Andrea decides it’s time for a magic dose of self esteem. A mysterious old woman in rags gives Melina some curious advice; a violinist Russian hamster, who happens to live under the old woman's hat, offers her a virtuoso performance; a shooting star fills her with hope on Christmas Eve. Is Melina actually playing better, or has her violin become magic? Who is the old woman in the town square, and why does she wear the same emerald ring as her teacher Andrea?

“The story combines violin music, magic, Christmas, and the charm of 19th Century Europe,” says Calvani, whose passion for the violin has led to several stories and novels since she began playing four years ago. “This is a book that little girls who are learning to play the violin will be able to identify with. The violin is an extremely difficult instrument to learn—probably the most difficult instrument there is, and sometimes learning a new piece can be quite disheartening. Hopefully my book will motivate young players to persevere and have self trust. Above all, I want my love for the violin to come through the pages and inspire children to try this incredible instrument.”
-- the author.




About The Author:

Award-winning author Mayra Calvani writes fiction and nonfiction for children and adults. In addition, she writes book reviews for The New York Journal of BooksBlogcritics Magazine's "Kiddie Corner," and SimplyCharly.com. She's had over 300 reviews, interviews, stories, and articles published in print and online. Mayra is a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) and the Children's Writer's Coaching Club. Visit her website at www.MayrasSecretBookcase.com

Follow me on TWITTER and FACEBOOK



My Review:

An absolutely beautifully illustrated book that will instill the importance of a strong self-esteem in your child each time you read it. As the story occurs during the Christmas holidays, I highly recommend this book to be read as a family during Christmas. I know it will be one that I will read with my girls for years to come.

 It is written primarily for elementary aged children, but my four year did sit and listen to me read it. I made a few adaptations as we read, to keep her attention, and she really enjoyed it. She wanted to listen to the music that Melina was playing on her violin, so I showed her the above trailer, and also played one of my CD's that has Vivaldi's Four Seasons on it. After listening to the music, she wanted to read the book again! 

As an early childhood educator, I developed a program introducing young children to classical music, and I would definitely add The Magic Violin and Vivalidi's Winter to the program.

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up! 

A perfect Christmas gift idea for the young reader in your life.

BUY IT: You can purchase The Magic Violin by Mayra Calvani online through Amazon.com

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of the author, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment