Thursday, November 25, 2010

Honey For A Woman's Heart: Book Review

About The Book:


Gladys Hunt, long-time advocate of reading and author of the cherished Honey for a Child’s Heart, has written this new book for busy women who want a wider worldview and stimulus for intellectual and emotional growth. 


Honey for a Woman’s Heart explores:


 * The wonder of words, language, and reading 
* What good books offer thoughtful readers
 * What makes a good book 
* The value of reading fiction 
* Best books in genres of fiction, nonfiction, spirituality, and poetry
 * How to enjoy the best of books: the Bible 
* The pleasure of sharing books with others 
* Something for everyone, no matter what age or reading experience
 * Recommendations for over 500 books to enjoy
 
Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16:24



About The Author:


Gladys Hunt was a well-known author and speaker. Her books include Honey for a Woman’s Heart, Honey for a Teen’s Heart, and Honey for a Child’s Heart (revised edition). She also wrote numerous Bible study guides for the Fisherman and Lifeguide series. She lived with her husband, Keith, in Grand Rapids, Michigan.


My Review:


I have been an avid reader for as long as I can remember being able to read. I think back fondly on the many books I read as a child and young person. I am so thrilled that both my children, at only four and two years of age, love having books read to them. Our home library is busting at the seams and continues to grow. It is my hope and prayer that the girls will continue to grow their love of books throughout their growing up years and into their adult lives, as I have done.


Honey For A Woman's Heart was a wonderful read. It begins with why one should develop a love for literature and the different types of literature. The book then is divided up into the types: classics, fiction, nonfiction, poetry, reading the Bible, and spiritual growth books. Within each of these sections are an abundance of lists of books that are favorites of the author and other guest writers.


 Many of these books are ones that I have read, many I would love to read again (and forgot that I had) and many that I would love to collect again, particularly to hand down to my girls. One thing that was very encouraging to me as I read Honey For a Woman's Heart is the reminder to have a Biblical worldview as I choose and read the abundance of books on the market today. 


Next on my reading list to read is Hunt's book, Honey For A Child's Heart. 


BUY IT: Honey For A Woman's Heart by Gladys Hunt can be purchased online, directly from it's publisher, Zondervan.


****I received a complimentary copy of the above reviewed book, courtesy of Zondervan Publishers. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment