Saturday, November 27, 2010

Quaker Journey To Wellness: Mom Central Campaign

For the last several years, I have been trying to live a healthier lifestyle, but was not completely serious about it. That is, until January 2010 when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

It was not a complete surprise that I was diagnosed as I have family on both sides with it, and I had Gestational Diabetes with both of my pregnancies (putting me at a higher risk of developing Type 2 diabetes later), but I was still taken aback when the diagnosis came.

Although I eat a fairly healthy, balanced diet I realized that I needed to make a few changes, and did so. As a result of making these changes and adding regular exercise to my lifestyle, I was able to lose 25lb in four months and reverse my diabetes.


Recently, I was able to take part in the Quaker Journey To Wellness campaign through Mom Central. Quaker understands the importance of living a healthy lifestyle, and that includes healthy eating. As part of their work to get families healthy, they invited Lynn from www.walkingwithscissors.com to document her family's journey as they challenge themselves to make lifestyle improvements. You can check out the journey at quakerjourney.ca

As part of my involvement with the Quaker Journey To Wellness Blog Tour, I wanted to let you know of a few ways I would like to see my family improve in the health and wellness area of our lives. Especially with the new year coming.

1. Eating - I want to continue to cook and bake foods that are made according to the Canada Food Guide. This will ensure that my family and I are eating healthy, well balanced meals regularly. I also make sure that everything we will eat is diabetic friendly. I want my children to learn proper eating habits and there is no time like the present to do that. It is my goal to cook at least one new-to-me recipe once a week during 2011. Stay tuned to the blog to hear about this journey come January.

2. Exercise - I continue to work out 3-5 times a week and I will continue to do that. However, I would like to vamp up my workout routine to include more strength training in the new year. As far as my children, at ages four and two, I would like to get them involved with swimming lessons, and possible gymnastics or dance, in the new year. It is my goal to walk/run at least one 10K event next year, and hopefully a 1/2 marathon in 2012, and I would love to do this with my husband by my side.

For more information on how you and your family can get healthy today, head over to www.quakerjourney.ca today. You can enter to win great prizes by voting, commenting, or simply sharing a tip for Lynn. There are weekly and monthly prizes to be won.


***I am participating in the Quaker Journey To Wellness program by Mom Central on behalf of Pepsi Co. I received a gift card as a thank you for my participation. The opinions on this blog are my own.***

No comments:

Post a Comment