Friday, December 3, 2010

Like Dandelion Dusk: Movie Review

Like millions of people around the world, I am a huge fan of author, Karen Kingsbury. I have read many of her books, and will continue to do so, as long as she continues to release her works.

One of Kingsbury's books, Like Dandelion Dust was recently released as a major motion picture and I cannot wait to tell you all about it.


About The Movie:


Joey lives an idyllic life with his parents on the coast of Florida. His days are spent playing with his cousins, sailing with his dad, and making up stories with his mom.


It's a perfect life until the day they receive a disturbing phone call: a stranger's decision could tear Joey away from the comfort and security of the only home he's ever known.

One family is determined to keep the son they love, the other is determined to begin a new life, the life they've always dreamed of.  Joey's future rests in their hands and someone must make the bravest decision of their life.

Sometimes the greatest love is letting go.


The favorite at the Deauville American Film Festival, winner of a dozen Audience Choice Awards for Best Picture, and recipient of the HEARTLAND TRULY MOVING PICTURE AWARD, LIKE DANDELION DUST is, according to USA TODAY, "the next Blind Side". Directed by Jon Gunn (MY DATE WITH DREW, MERCY STREETS) from a screenplay by Academy Award® Nominated Stephen J. Rivele (ALI, NIXON), the film is based on the novel by New York Times best-selling author Karen Kingsbury.

Starring Academy Award® Winner Mira Sorvino, Golden Globe® Nominee Barry Pepper, and introducing child actor, Maxwell Perry Cotton.






My Review:


I remember clearly that when I read the novel, Like Dandelion Dust, I had a box of tissues nearby. I always do when reading Karen Kingsbury's novels, as there is not one that I have not cried through while reading. Her books bring out my emotions like no other writer I have read. 


The movie was no different. It was amazing to watch Kingsbury's novel come to life, just as I imagined it would, when I was reading it. The director definitely made all the right decisions in picking the cast he did, as they all did amazingly well at portraying the main characters from the book. A wonderful portrayal of the gift of adoption, the heartbreak of hidden secrets, and the power of forgiveness and redemption. As an adopted child, I watched it with a different perspective then most would, and it really made me think about the process that people go through to reunite, and whether it is in the best interest of the child, especially when they are still small, as was Joey. Oh, and I did in fact have the tissues nearby for the movie too...I highly suggest them, there will not be dry eyes after watching this movie. I also loved the camera work, direction and soundtrack. All very strong and fitting for the topic of the movie!


The only downfall for me was the movie was not available in theaters, near me in Canada, so DVD will have to suffice. Like Dandelion Dust should have been picked up by a major movie label, because it is a movie that needs to be seen by all the general population. If I had to compare it to a mainstream movie, I would do so with The Blind Side! Definitely one of the top movies I have watched this year.


The movie will be released on DVD January 25, but you can pre-purchase it now at Family Christian Stores today!


***I received a complimentary screener copy of Like Dandelion Dust, courtesy of Lovell-Fairchild Communications, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***


No comments:

Post a Comment