Sunday, January 2, 2011

11 in 2011 Day 2

Day 2: Favorite Holiday Memory

Growing up in a large family (I am the oldest of 4, but have a large extended family), there was never a shortage of fantastic holiday memories. I am of German and Italian Heritages, so there is also some fantastic family traditions that I am very fond of.

One of my favorite memories is simple: getting together as a family. Until the mid 1990's, this is what my family's Chirstmas Celebrations look like:

December 6 - St. Nickelaus Day (we would put a shoe by our door the night before, and it the morning there would be treats in them

Advent Sundays - lighting the Advent Candles each Sunday before Christmas

Christmas Eve - the churches we attended as children would have their Children's Christmas Programs on Christmas Eve, and my sisters and I were always a part of it. So the whole family (grandparents, aunts, etc) would attend. Then we would go to my Oma and Opa's home to have homemade pizza and yummy desserts, and open gifts.

Christmas Morning - Open gifts at home, then go to Grandma and Grandpa's for brunch and open gifts, then back to Oma and Opa's for a big dinner.

In Canada, we celebrate Boxing Day, and once again my family will get together to, yep, you guessed it, we EAT!

Now, that we are all grown up and spread out around Canada and the United States, it is rare that we are all together at Christmas, but my memories are full of times spent together, eating fantastic food and having fun with all the siblings and cousins.

As you saw, this post is day 2 of 11 as part of the 11 in 2011, hosted by Kit at A Step Into My Life and MJ at Teaching In Heels. Head over to either of these fantastic blogs to join in the fun!


WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE MEMORIES?

2 comments:

  1. I think all of my favorite memories include food and family :)

    ReplyDelete