Friday, January 28, 2011

How Can I Run A Tight Ship When I'm Surrounded By Loose Cannons: Book Review

About The Book:

The perfect woman - excellent wife, cherished mother, impeccable housekeeper, thriving entrepreneur - all rolled into one. The Proverbs 31 woman looms large for Christian women today. Getting it all together. Keeping everything under control. Running a tight ship. But despite our best efforts, it seems there are always loose cannons rolling around the deck.


With humor and relevance, Kathi Macias shares her journey and struggle with Proverbs 31, ultimately discovering the natural progression of growing in grace. As Christians, we begin as infants - on our knees, crawling. We then become toddlers - taking a few tentative steps and falling quite a bit. Soon, though, we learn to run - and what a joy that is! From there we begin to soar. Finally, we learn that the best place to be is back on our knees, completely dependent upon and surrendered to God, trusting the Captain of our ship to steer us safely home.





About The Author:



Award-winning author Kathi Macias has written more than 30 books, including the award-winning devotional A Moment a Day and the popular “Matthews” mystery novels.
Kathi has won many awards, including the Angel Award from Excellence in Media, fiction awards from the San Diego Christian Writers Guild, 2008 Member of the Year from AWSA (Advanced Writers and Speakers Association), and the grand prize in an international writing contest.
With women’s ministry as her primary interest, Kathi is a popular speaker for women’s retreats, conferences, and churches.
A mother and grandmother, Kathi and her husband, Al, call California home.
My Review:
The first book of Kathi Macias' that I read was My Son, John and from that point, I was hooked! I have since read the first three Extreme Devotion Series books (No Greater Love, More Than Conquerers, and Red Ink) and looking forward to Book 4, People Of The Book, coming in April 2011.

I have admired the Proverbs 31 woman for many years, and for most of that time I thought I could not be her. She seemed way to hard to live up to. But I have realized the reason for this was I was trying to be her, and not myself. Also, I was trying to do it all on my own strength and not allowing God to guide me and mold me into what HE wants me to be. It has only been in the last couple of years that I have taken hold of the roles of Christian woman, mother and wife and I have come to realize that God gives me everything I need to do His work. He will do it through me with the gifts He has given me and in His time, not mine.

This book was so encouraging to me as I embrace these roles and realize that God does not want, or need, me to be perfect. He will bring me through the journey and guide me in His way. With humor, real-life stories, and written in a very easy to read, theologically sound manner, you will be encouraged to embrace your life and live it as God wants you to! What a freeing lesson that every Christian woman needs to be reminded of, and thanks to Kathi Macias' book you will get that!

A great book for Christian book groups, Bible Studies and Women's Sunday School's of which I highly recommend!
BUY IT: You can purchase "How Can I Run A Tight Ship When I'm Surrounded By Loose Cannons?" by Kathi Macias online at Amazon.com and Christian Book.com 
WIN IT: 
One (1) reader
 will win
 a copy of 
How Can I Run A Tight Ship 
When I'm Surrounded By Loose Cannons?"
by Kathi Macias
MANDATORY ENTRY: Head over to Kathi Macias' official website and tell me one other of her books you would love to read!
EXTRA ENTRIES: (the mandatory entry must be completed first for extra ones to be counted)
1. Follow A Mom After God's Own Heart via GFC
2. Grab my button
3. Subscribe to A Mom After God's Own Heart via email
4. Like A Mom After God's Own Heart on Facebook
5. Follow me on Twitter
6.Like Kathi Macias on Facebook

GIVEAWAY OPEN INTERNATIONALLY!!


GIVEAWAY ENDS FEBRUARY 13, 2011


GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of the author, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

35 comments:

  1. I would love to read Red Ink.

    Thank you,

    Christine
    womackcm@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow A Mom After God's Own Heart via GFC.

    Thank you,

    Christine
    womackcm@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I subscribe to A Mom After God's Own Heart via email.

    Thank you,

    Christine
    womackcm@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I "Like" A Mom After God's Own Heart on Facebook.

    Thank you,

    Christine
    womackcm@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I follow you on Twitter.

    Thank you,

    Christine
    womackcm@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I "Like" Kathi Macias on Facebook.

    Thank you,

    Christine
    womackcm@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great review, and many blessings to you and your followers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valeria's Cross
    theknitwitbyshair@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. gfc follower
    theknitwitbyshair@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. email subscriber
    theknitwitbyshair@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. like you on fb
    theknitwitbyshair@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. twitter follower @knitwitshair
    theknitwitbyshair@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to read Red Ink. thanks. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am an e-mail subscriber. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got "red ink" I can't wait to read it!
    pjames330 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Follow A Mom After God's Own Heart via GFC
    pjames330 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Subscribe to A Mom After God's Own Heart via email
    pjames330 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like A Mom After God's Own Heart on Facebook
    pjames330 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Follow me on Twitter-pj436
    pjames330 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a reader and found it hard to choose. I haven't heard of Kathi Macias before but what I saw on her site sounded wonderful. I would love to read Red Ink or My son John. Really I would like to read them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I Liked A Mom After God's Own Heart on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am following you on twitter @avrilsgranny

    ReplyDelete
  23. I Liked Kathi Macias on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  24. for me it would be 'train of thought' ~

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1288th follower ")
    you're invited to follow FHC as well ~ welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would like to read Mothers of the Bible Speak to Mothers of Today.

    amanda.corley@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I follow on GFC.
    amanda.corley@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am a subscriber.
    amanda.corley@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am a Facebook fan.
    amanda.corley@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I follow on twitter as frugalmomto4.
    amanda.corley@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mothers of the Bible talk to Mothers of Today sounds really interesting to me. Staciele(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  32. I follow on GFC. Staciele(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like you on Facebook. Staciele(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like Kathi on facebook. Staciele(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete