Friday, January 28, 2011

Treasuring God In Our Traditions: A Book Review

About The Book:

God is the treasure of our lives. He is part of everything we do, think, act, and say-literally, he is a part of us. This precious heirloom of Christ himself must be passed on to future generations. But how?
Treasuring God in Our Traditions presents the importance of passing along Christ-centered traditions and a Bible-saturated legacy in Christ to future generations. Noël Piper helps her readers recognize how the "everyday" routines of life and the "especially" celebrations of holidays and dates can be practically passed down to future generations. When parents and grandparents seek to pass along the treasure of God to their children and grandchildren, they will develop and deepen their love for him.
When family traditions are rooted in the Bible, the next generations will see that the greatest treasure that anyone can have is the treasure of God.
About The Authors:
Noël Piper and her husband, John, have ministered since 1980 at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They have five sons and a daughter. Noël grew up in Georgia and is a graduate of Wheaton College.
JOHN PIPER is pastor for preaching and vision at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis. His books include Desiring God,Don't Waste Your Life,This Momentary Marriage, and Spectacular Sins.
My Review:
When I was married 13 years ago, I knew going into the marriage that both my husband and I would be bringing into it a number of traditions from our families. Some we would continue, but for the most part we have realized the importance of starting our own traditions. This has become even more apparent since having children just over four years ago. We want our children to know traditions and rituals from our heritages' (includes German, Italian, Mennonite, Brazilian and Scottish) but also from our faith in Christ.
I was introduced to John Piper's writings and preaching a little more than a year ago, so when I had an opportunity read his wife's book on traditions, I could not turn it down. I am so glad I did not.
I have spent the last year or so really debating with myself about how to celebrate holidays like Christmas and Easter without emphasizing the "worldly traditions" and instead, recognizing God in them. Noel Piper's book, Treasuring God In Our Traditions is definitely one that I would have loved to have read during these debating times. 
I love that Piper goes beyond the traditional (no pun intendeded) talk about holidays (tree decorating, going to church, etc) and really encourages the reader to bring God into all the traditions you develop with your family, whether young or old. 
What I love about this book is that, Piper discusses what tradition is and why it's important, some of her own family traditions, and ideas for the reader to incorporate into their own families. However, even more important, Piper implores to the reader the importance of having God at the center of ALL our traditions - everyday and holiday. Here are a few quotes from Noel Piper and Treasuring God In Our Traditions that really impacted me:
"We don't know exactly what our children's strongest, lasting memories will be. But we do want to make sure that our daily, weekly, "regularly random" activities occur in a God-filled context - that we recognize Him in all of our life and show Him everywhere to our children" (p. 37)
"God is the most precious heirloom our children can ever receive, and receiving him means knowing and loving him. Our personal habits and family traditions of the Word and prayer are the ones that are not optional if we want God as our eternal inheritance." (p. 49)
If you know a new married couple or a couple just starting their family, I highly recommend this book as a gift to them. I know my sister is just starting her family and I plan on gifting her a copy of this book, as her and her husband begin traditions that will build in their family for years, and I pray, will impact their children for the Lord!
A wonderful read that I highly recommend! 
BUY IT: You can purchase Treasuring God In Our Traditions by Noel Piper online, directly through it's publisher, Crossway. It is also available through your local Christian bookseller
***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Crossway, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment