Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Jesus In The Present Tense: A Book Review

About The Book:

In Jesus in the Present Tense, Dr. Warren W. Wiersbe explores the "I AM" statements of God-from His burning bush conversation with Moses, to His powerful reassurances to the Israelites, to Jesus's startling claim to be the Light of the World.

Many Christians find themselves mired in past regrets or future fears, but the name of God itself reminds readers that God wants them to live in the present. The more readers understand and apply God's I AM statements from the Old and New Testaments, the more they will realize God's peace and joy. Then they will be free to live, serve, and know God more richly in the present tense-which is just where He wants them to be.

About The Author:

Dr. Warren W. Wiersbe is an internationally known Bible teacher and the former pastor of three churches, including the Moody Church in Chicago. For ten years he served as general director and Bible teacher for the Back to the Bible radio broadcast. Dr. Wiersbe has written more than 150 books, including the popular "Be" series of expositional Bible studies, which has sold more than four million copies. In 2002, he was awarded the Jordon Lifetime Achievement Award by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association. He and his wife, Betty, live in Lincoln, Nebraska.

My Review:

As many of you know, I am a very big fan of Warren Wiersbe. I have been since my Bible College days and I continue to be challenged and inspired by his work. His most recent release, Jesus In The Present Tense, is a great read, and does not disappoint for long time fans of Wiersbe!

In nine places in the Old Testament, the Lord “filled out” or “completed” the name I AM to reveal more fully His divine nature and His gracious ministry to His people.

·         Yahweh-Jire – The Lord who provides (Genesis 22:14)
·         Yahweh-Rophe – The Lord who heals (Exodus 15:26)
·         Yahweh-Nissi – The Lord our banner (Exodus 17:15)
·         Yahweh- M’Kaddesh – The Lord who sanctifies (Leviticus 20:8)
·         Yahweh-Shalom – The Lord our peace (Judges 6:24)
·         Yahweh-Rohi – The Lord our shepherd (Psalm 23:1)
·         Yahweh-Sabaoth – The Lord of hosts (Psalm 46:7)
·         Yahweh-Tsidkenu – The Lord our righteousness (Jeremiah 23:6)
·         Yahweh-Shammah – The Lord is there (Ezekiel 48:35)

Wiersbe takes you on a journey through the nine "I AM" statements and helps you move from regrets of the past and fears of the future, and instead dwell on Him and the plans He has for you, not your plans

If you are looking for a book that will challenge you to live your life for Him, you need to read this book. My favorite line of the book is from the very last page!

"Paul wrote, "But by the grace of God I am what I am" (1 Cor. 15:10). If you and I want that same kind of testimony, we must live in the present tense, abiding in Jesus Christ, who says "I AM." (p. 187).

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Jesus In The Present Tense online through David C. Cook - it is also available through your favorite local Christian bookseller

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of David C. Cook and The B and B Media Group Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for participating in the Good Friends Click Blog Hop! I'm already follow you, just stopping by to say hi.

    Janel
    http://www.amomstake.com

    ReplyDelete