Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Larkspur Cove: A Book Review

About The Book:


Lisa Wingate's Rich Novel Glows with Faith and Hope
Moses Lake was a constant place, on the surface. But you can't always tell by looking, what might be brewing underneath...
 
After surviving the worst year of her life, Andrea Henderson moves home to sleepy little Moses Lake, Texas, to recover her shattered faith and build a new life for herself and her son.

Game Warden Mart McClendon finds himself in Moses Lake for a different reason: to forget a tragedy for which he can't forgive himself.

But when a mysterious little girl is suddenly seen with the town recluse, these two unlikely allies are drawn together in a search for her identity. As wounded pasts collide, will their quest bring the redemption and hope they need--or consequences neither of them expected?



About The Author:


Lisa Wingate is a popular inspirational speaker, magazine columnist, and national bestselling author of several books, includingTending Roses, A Month of Summer, and The Summer Kitchen. Lisa and her family live in central Texas. Visit www.lisawingate.com
 

My Review:



With heart-felt honesty, delightful characters, examinations of social class differences, discussion of the issues in the social services departments in America, and teen/parent relationships you will quite enjoy Larkspur Cove. I know I did. There is a little something for every one, including a budding romance.

The book will keep your reading from the first time you pick it up until the very last page. It is a very engaging read and I read it in about two days. There are a couple statements in the book that clearly sum up the book and its themes:

"In the stillness was a voice, soft like the mourning dove, yet persistent like the endless refrains of the mockingbird. It beckoned me with its sweetness, warmed my soul, comforted my heart, promised that even when I'd been loneliest, in the deepest despair, even when I thought I was lost in the darkness, I was never really alone. God had been there, even when I could not see Him, even when I could not hear His call, even when I denied His presence. He had been there in the wilderness, as He is in all places. I had only to be still, and listen, and let Him lead me home." (p.351-52)

In the very last scene of the book, the family teenager is flying kites, and it reminds the main character Andrea of doing the same activity as a child with her grandfather and something he said to her:

"A kite is like a man's life," my granddad had said as I weighed the choice between letting that kite soar and holding it down. "No matter how much he tries, he can't make it more than a piece of paper and a ball of twine, on his own. He's got to give it over to the something bigger, let the Good Lord breathe into it. After that, he just has to do two things - turn his eyes toward heaven and keep hold of the string" (p. 355)

What an amazing piece of advice as we walk our life journey with the Lord! He will guide us through everything, good and bad, we just have to keep our eye on Him.

I highly recommend this book and give it a HUGE thumbs up!

BUY IT: Larkspur Cove is available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group


***Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. All opinions expressed are my own and I have not been compensated in any other manner***.

No comments:

Post a Comment