Tuesday, March 29, 2011

20(4)40 Challenge - Day 2

I am loving this glorious Spring weather that we are finally experiencing here in Southern Alberta. The sounds of birds, the sun, the melting snow all show me the fingerprints of God in such tangible ways. Ever since reading One Thousands Gifts by Ann Voskamp, and following her blog, A Holy Experience, I have made it a practice to daily journal those "small things" that I am grateful for in my day.

During Lent many people give up things to help them focus on the sacrifice that Christ gave of His life on the cross that Good Friday so many years ago. This year, instead of giving something up, I decided to add gratitude to my day more intentionally. For every complaint I have in my day, I want to think of five things I am grateful, and record them in my journal. This practice has been so amazing for me. Now, I am human, and of course there are days when there seems to be far more complaints than gratitude coming out of my mouth and mind. However, this practice of writing down the things that make me grateful...the small things in my everyday...have made me a much better person.


Lenten Challenge


As I mentioned yesterday I am in a challenge called the 20(4)40 Lenten Challenge, hosted by A Minute Captured. Today is Day 2 and here is my list for today.

1.  Talking with my mom on the phone (lives in another Province)

2. Listening to hymns as my day starts

3. snuggling with my youngest in the early morning hours in my bed

4. watching the kids sharing and taking turns

5. hearing the sounds of geese

6. watching my oldest help her little sister with her zipper

7. receiving four new books in the mail

8. listening to my girls on the phone with their Oma

9. finishing the Bible In 90 days in 83 days

10. timely words of encouragement from a favorite blog I follow

11. fresh from the dryer warm towels

12.  health

13. hearing my children pray at bedtime

14. the desire my 4.5 year old daughter has to learn

15. dishes in the sink as evidence that I have provided my family with a healthy meal

16. the smell of chicken soup cooking

17. His grace

18. His sacrifice on the Cross

19. His strength given when mine is gone

20. Bubble baths

What are you grateful for today? I challenge you to think of five things you are grateful for each time you complain today...and see how it changes your outlook!

Be Blessed,

5 comments:

  1. Today I'm grateful for the rain - in South Africa the ground gets so dry that the first proper rain gives off the most fantastic smell & today is that day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous challenge! I used to keep a Gratitude Journal, and I've found that I can find a LOT more good things in the day when I journal it....great reminder to get back into that!

    (and I LOVE getting books in the mail - woohoo!)

    My 2-year-old calls my MIL Oma (or Ahma), but only b/c she can't pronounce Grandpa. She also says Opa (Ahpa) for my Dad....

    Is that German? I know in Korean that those words are for "Mom" and "Dad".....haha.

    Happy iFellowship - I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful list of blessings!! I really need to pick up that book - I think I might be only one left who hasn't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added you to the sidebar, welcome! My dad lives in Germany so my children call him Opa, so cute coming from a 2yo. I loved the sweet simplicity of your list, things we would normally take for granted like siblings helping to zip up or early morning snuggles.

    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful list! What a great list :) Thank you so much for sharing, your example and gratitude are inspiring.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete