Wednesday, March 30, 2011

20(4)40 Challenge - Day 3

Lenten Challenge



What an incredibly busy day today, but it was the perfect day for seeing the gift of "small things" in my everyday.  I am so thankful to God for placing in my life authors like Ann at A Holy Experience and blogs like A Minute Captured that help me to remember the gifts of the the small things.


I love it when God takes me to a place in my day where I learn a lesson He has been trying to teach me for a long time. That happened today.


As I mentioned earlier this week, I am trying to complain less, not only due to Lent, but just to make myself a better woman, wife, and mom after His heart. 


Instead of complaining, I am choosing joy. Even when I would rather complain, when life does not go according to my plans for the day, when I am hurt, tired and ready to have a mommy melt down, I CHOOSE JOY!


During this last year, the hardest one of my entire life, I have realized I am not in control of those things that are out of my control. The only thing that I can control is my reaction to those things....the rest I have to give up to God. And despite hurt, pain, frustration, anger, guilt and all the other emotions that can result, I CHOOSE JOY.


Joy.


A small, but powerful word. 


When you are confronted by life, and the busyness of your day, do you choose joy?


 When you have a child who is grumpy because they refused to nap, spilled milk on the floor, too much on the to-do list and not enough time to do it all, choose joy. 


When you burn supper, don't get that workout in, and you lose the document you were typing out, CHOOSE JOY!


When someone says a hurtful word to you, your alarm does not go off on time, or you burn your hand on the stove, CHOOSE JOY!


Whatever comes your way in your everyday life, whoever you interact with on a daily basis, no matter what you are going through in life, instead of instinctively complaining about it, CHOOSE JOY!


Not always an easy thing to do, I will be the first to admit, I don't always choose joy first. But when we cling to Him to help us through our days, it is so much easier to CHOOSE JOY!


Here are a few passages of scripture that have blessed me and reminded me to CHOOSE JOY this week:


joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17: 22


I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength Philippians 4:13 (He can, and will, give you the strength you need to choose joy)


Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises! Psalm 98:4


And I commend joy, for man has no good thing under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of his life that God has given him under the sun. Ecclesiastes 8:15


The joy of the Lord is your strength Nehemiah 8:10


Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds James 1:2


As I strive to choose joy in my everyday, here are a few gifts from today.


1. Wednesday night Bible Study


2. a visit with my in-laws


3. a lunch/play date with a great friend


4. an afternoon play date


5. listening to my girls at play


6. my husband helping me prepare dinner, even after working hard all day, just because


7. potty training (and subsequent accidents)


8. the giggles of the girls as we watch Tangled


9. Cinnamon Spice Chai Tea


10. a loss on the scale


11. how I feel after a workout


12. unexpected financial blessing


13. answered prayer


14. the voice of anticipation in my very expectant sister (first time mom-to-be, 39 weeks)


15. hearing "I love you"


16. planning a girl's night out shopping trip


17. thumbing through a new Bible


18. reading a new book to my daughters


19. watching my little ones sleeping


20. the sound of my husband's snores


Be Blessed,


No comments:

Post a Comment