Friday, March 4, 2011

Made To Crave: A Book Review

About The Book:


Just because a woman finally fits into her skinny jeans doesn't mean she's won her battle with food. Too often, women overlook the spiritual component to their physical struggle with healthy eating. Made to Crave taps into the desires God gave you to consume food without letting food consume you!


Made to Crave is the missing link between a woman’s desire to be healthy and the spiritual empowerment necessary to make that happen. The reality is we were made to crave. Craving isn’t a bad thing. But we must realize God created us to crave more of him. Many of us have misplaced that craving by overindulging in physical pleasures instead of lasting spiritual satisfaction. If you are struggling with unhealthy eating habits, you can break the “I’ll start again Monday” cycle, and start feeling good about yourself today. Learn to stop beating yourself up over the numbers on the scale. Discover that your weight loss struggle isn’t a curse but rather a blessing in the making, and replace justifications that lead to diet failure with empowering go-to scripts that lead to victory. You can reach your healthy weight goal – and grow closer to God in the process. This is not a how-to book. This is not the latest and greatest dieting plan. This book is the necessary companion for you to use alongside whatever healthy lifestyle plan you choose. This is a book and Bible study to help you find the "want to" in making healthy lifestyle choices.







About The Author:


Lysa TerKeurst is the president of Proverbs 31 Ministries and the author of twelve books (including a Gold Medallion finalist and a People's Choice Award finalist) and numerous magazine articles. She has told her remarkable life story on national television and radio, including Oprah and Good Morning America. She lives in North Carolina with her husband and five children. SPANISH BIO: Lysa Terkeurst es autora de doce libros (incluyendo la Medalla de Oro como finalista y el premio People Choice Award) así como numerosos artículos en revistas. Ella ha contado la extraordinaria historia de su vida en televisión y radio nacionalmente, incluyendo el show de Oprah y Good Morning America. Reside en Carolina del Norte con su esposo y cinco hijos.

Author Website:
http://www.LysaTerKeurst.com









My Review:


For many years I have struggled with weight gain and the journey to lose weight has not been an easy one. Although I was at a healthy weight in high school, entering college, married life and having two children, as well as other health issues, has resulted in a 50+lb unhealthy weight gain. Part of the problem is that I am a very emotional eater. If I am stressed, happy, or angry, I eat...whatever emotion I am feeling, I will eat. And of course, not always the foods I should. Yet, I know I should not be eating to get the relief from my stress, I should be going to Him for relief. 


Made To Crave is a wonderful book for every woman to read. Whether you need to lose weight or not, as you read through the book, you will realize that craving God is the only real craving you should be having. Food no longer needs to have a hold on you. The book is written in a wonderful, conversational manner. I felt like Lisa and I were sitting in the same room together. I read through the book very quickly for the sake of review, however, I will definitely be going back and delving into it more thoroughly. I have also had the privilege of viewing the Made To Crave podcasts. Really brings all Terkeurst says to life. 


I absolutely loved how she brought her struggles with food to the forefront and included humor and scripture both to show us, the reader, why we should change how we eat and exercise, not how to. Here are a few quotes from the book that have really resonated with me.


"We were made to crave - long for, want greatly, desire eagerly, and beg for - God, and God only" (p.21)


"I was made to be set free, holy, new , loved, and confident. Because of this, I can't allow myself to partake in anything that negates my true identity. Be it a relationship in which someone makes me feel less than my true identity or a vicious food cycle that leaves me feeling defeated and imprisoned. I must remember I was made for more. The truth of my identity as a child of God empowers me to believe that living in victory tastes sweeter than any unhealthy delicacy" (p.53)


"We aren't to flee food. But we are to flee the control food can have over our lives" (p.160)


"It is good for God's people to be put in a place of longing so they feel a slight desperation. Only then can we be empty enough to discover the holiness we were made for" (p.168)


I truly believe that the Lord will work through Made To Crave to change the lives of many women, myself included. You will discover that satisfaction does not come from food, it can only come from a true desire for, and relationship with, God! As you read this book, you will change the way you look at food and desire for food in a whole new light. I know I did.


I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up.


BUY IT: You can purchase Made To Crave by Lysa Terkeurst online, directly through Zondervan Publishers - it is also available through your favorite, local Christian bookseller


***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Zondervan, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment