Friday, March 4, 2011

The Missional Mom: A Book Review

About The Book:

We all must seek to be missional in our life journey.    Today's Christian moms come from a full range of personal and professional context, whether they are homemakers, full-time in the marketplace, or somewhere in between.  Numerous Christian mothers  are living missional lives, using their gifts and abilities to further God's kingdom by engaging the world around them.  They artfully, passionately, sometimes messily, juggle multiple callings and demonstrate in their modern day contexts how they are emulating the woman of noble character in Proverbs 31. 


The Missional Mom will affirm Christian mothers who desire to not only to build their homes in a Christ-like way, but engage the world with their skills, abilities, and interests.  It won't minimize the importance of a woman's role in her home but it will encourage her to not ignore the stirrings God has planted within her to extend her influence.

About The Author:

Helen Lee is an award-winning freelance writer and editor with nearly two decades of experience publishing in the Christian market. She is the cofounder of the Best Christian Workplaces Institute, which runs the annual "Best Christian Places To Work" survey. Helen has written numerous articles for publications such as Christianity Today, Today's Christian Woman, re:generation quarterly, and Leadership Journal. She and her husband, Brian, have three young sons, and reside in the Chicagoland area.

My Review:

As a mom, I want to do what I can to live out my faith in Christ. However, that is not always an easy thing to do. Helen Lee takes moms on a journey to learn how to live as a missional mom. To do His will, where we are at, with what we have. 

With humor, real-life stories, and tons of tips and suggestions, you will learn what it means to be a Missional Mom. I have been a stay at home mom for almost three years, and sometimes feel that I am just "going through the motions" and not really impacting my community, or little part of the world, for His glory. Lee's book has given me some really great tips and concrete ideas of how to do this, and still be the mom that God has designed me to be. The biggest impact this book has had on me is that by purposely being a Missional mom, my girls will learn how to live a life for others.

This statement is made near the end of The Missional Mom:

"The Peace Corp has a motto: Life is calling. How far will you go? For our purposes, let's modify the saying just a bit: God is calling. How far will you go? Being a missional mom is all about saying, "I am willing. I will go where you want me to go." (p. 176)

The question to you is: Are you willing?

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up.

BUY IT: You can purchase The Missional Mom by Helen Lee online through Moody Publishers - it is also available through your favorite, local Christian bookseller.

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Moody Publishers, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***



No comments:

Post a Comment