Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Treasure Principle: A Book Review

About The Book:

Flip-Flop Your Concept of Giving! 

Bestselling author Randy Alcorn introduced readers to a revolution in material freedom and radical generosity with the release of the original The Treasure Principle in 2001. Now the revision to the compact, perennial bestseller includes a provocative new concluding chapter depicting God asking a believer questions about his stewardship over material resources. Readers are moved from the realms of thoughtful Bible exposition into the highly personal arena of everyday life. Because when Jesus told His followers to “lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,” He intended that they discover an astounding secret: how joyful giving brings God maximum glory and His children maximum pleasure.Discover a joy more precious than gold! 

Priceless treasure is within your reach. And with it, liberating joy. 

In Randy Alcorn ’s The Treasure Principle, you’ll unearth a radical teaching of Jesus—a secret wrapped up in giving. Once you discover this secret, life will never look the same. And you won’t want it to! 

Pull Out Section: 

Do it. Ask God what’s on your mind…. 

Open my eyes, Father. What am I holding on to that’s robbing me of present joy and future reward? 

Discover the all-new prayer guide inside!



Read an excerpt of the book here, in PDF format.


Story Behind The Book:


After years of writing and teaching on the theme “God owns everything,” in 1990 Randy Alcorn was sued by an abortion clinic (for peaceful, nonviolent intervention for the unborn). Suddenly he had to resign as a pastor and was restricted to making minimum wage. Legally unable to own anything, Randy gave all his book royalties to missions work and need-meeting ministries. He and his family have experienced the reality of The Treasure Principle—that God really does own everything, takes care of us, and graciously puts assets into our hands that we might have the joy and privilege of investing in what will last for eternity.




About The Author:


Randy Alcorn is the founder and director of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM). Prior to 1990, when he started EPM, he served as a pastor for fourteen years. He has spoken around the world and has taught on the adjunct faculties of Multnomah Bible College and Western Seminary in Portland, Oregon.

Randy is the best-selling author of over thirty books (over four million in print), including the novels Deadline, Dominion, and Deception as well as Lord Foulgrin's Letters, the Gold Medallion winner Safely Home, and Wait Until Then (children's picture book about Heaven).  His fourteen nonfiction works include Money, Possessions and Eternity, ProLife Answers to ProChoice Arguments, In Light of Eternity, The Treasure Principle, The Grace & Truth Paradox, The Purity Principle, The Law of Rewards, Why ProLife, Heaven, Heaven for Kids (8-12 year olds), 50 Days of Heaven (meditations on Heaven) and Tell Me About Heaven (picture book illustrated by Ron DiCianni).

Randy has written for many magazines and produces the popular periodical Eternal Perspectives. He's been a guest on over 600 radio and television programs including Focus on the Family, The Bible Answer Man, Family Life Today, Revive Our Hearts, Truths that Transform and Faith Under Fire.

The father of two married daughters, Randy lives in Gresham, Oregon, with his wife and best friend, Nanci. They are the proud grandparents of four grandsons, Jacob, Matthew, Tyler and Jack. Randy enjoys hanging out with his family, biking, tennis, research and reading.

For more information on this author, please be sure to visit www.epm.org



 To see the author's life and perspectives, check out his blog at www.epm.org/blog


My Review:


I had the pleasure of reading the original edition of The Treasure Principle a few years ago, so when I had the opportunity to review the updated version, I jumped at it.


In The Treasure Principle, you will learn six principles that will show you how to Biblically handle your money and use it for His glory.  Of course, Alcorn goes into much more detail, but here are the six principles:


1. God owns everything. I am His money manager


2. My heart always goes where I put God's money


3. Heaven, not Earth, is my home


4. I should live not for the dot but for the line


5. Giving is the only antidote for materialism


6. God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving


I will tell you right now, this book is life-changing! It has really allowed me to look at giving in a much more positive manner. Instead of being an obligatory thing, I am finding it a much more joyful discipline. A very scripturally sound, quick read (only 118 pages) about stewardship that I recommend  all Christians read.  Throughout reading The Treasure Principle I was reminded that joy and satisfaction can only truly come from God. More of Him, and less of stuff is what I took from this book, and how I will walk through the rest of my life.  A huge eye-opener to me about how to give and live. I look forward to one day viewing the DVD and study guide as well. 


I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!


BUY IT: You can purchase The Treasure Principle online, directly through Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers. It is also available through your local Christian bookseller


***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Waterbrook Multnomah Blogging For Books Program, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment