Monday, May 2, 2011

The Budding Chef: A Book Review


About The Book:

Curious kids will delight in the 50 fun-filled recipes in The Budding Chef! Full of great ways for parents and their budding chefs to have fun together, this introduction to cooking is brimming with kitchen adventures and is perfect for kids aged 3 to 6. The easy-to-follow instructions and easy-to-find ingredients helps parents share their love of cooking in kid-friendly ways while creating special moments that they—and their child—will cherish forever. With a cup of wonder, a teaspoon of laughter, and a scoop of fun, these recipes bring parents and children together to share magical moments!


Edited by Kate Kuhn, with contributions from a number of others


My Review:


As a mom and early childhood educator, one of the activities I love doing is cooking and baking. I have been fortunate enough to build up a great collection of kid-friendly recipes. Not only of recipes that kids will eat AND like, but also ones that are easy to allow "help" from young children. Now with The Budding Chef I have another fantastic resource to add to my collection.


The Budding Chef contains a total five sections in the book:


Breakfast - has eight recipes including our favorite "Hello Pumpkin" Muffins and Stain Glass Toast


Lunch - has nine recipes including our favorite Friendship Soup and Easy Chili and Corn Muffins


Snacks - has 18 recipes including our favorite, The Veggie Game (this was awesome with my home daycare!)


Desserts - 14 recipes including our favorite, Dirt Cake


Butter Up - has three recipes for making Apple Butter (so yummy), Regular Butter and Peanut Butter


The book is brightly illustrated and each recipe is very easy to understand and implement. You will get a full list of ingredients, the servings the recipe makes, the tools you will need and even books that you can share with your child that relates to the recipe!


I have made several of the recipes and they are not only easy to make, they are super kid friendly and also very adaptable. I say this because I am diabetic, so I will often substitute ingredients like sugars so that I can enjoy recipes along with my family, without it affecting my blood sugars. 


If you are looking for a fun, healthy cookbook to share in cooking experiences with the young children in your life, I highly recommend The Budding Chef! This would be perfect for home educators and early childhood educators for science/math curriculum's and also early home economic curriculum's.


It has also been the recipient of the Parent Tested Parent Approved Award!


BUY IT: You can purchase The Budding Chef online, through its publisher Gryphon House


***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Gryphon House, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***




No comments:

Post a Comment