Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Blessed: A Book Review

About The Book:


Trapped by obligation, one woman longs for the freedom of true love.

It is 1844 and Lacey Bishop's life is a tangled mess. When circumstances move Lacey to a nearby Shaker village, she is not prepared for the new life that awaits her. In the midst of her deep loneliness, Lacey works to fit in with this odd group. But everything shifts when she finds herself drawn to a Shaker man in a village where such relationships are forbidden.

Can Lacey ever find true happiness in this mysterious place?

You can read an excerpt of The Blessed here (in PDF format)

About The Author:

Ann H. Gabhart is the bestselling author of several novels, including Angel Sister, The Outsider, The Believer, The Seeker, and The Blessed. She lives with her husband a mile from where she was born in Kentucky.

My Review:

This is the first of the Shaker Series from Ann H. Gabhart I have had an opportunity to read, and it was a great read.  Although part of a series, it works well as a stand-alone novel and you will not feel like you have missed out by not reading the other books. I have, however, put the other books in the Shaker Series on my "want to read" wish list and hope to soon. 

The characters were all very well developed, as was the storyline. You will be brought into the world of the Shaker religion and as Lacey grows in her Christian faith you are made aware of the very distinct differences between the Shaker faith and Christianity. I also loved the fact that Lacey did not take belief's and actions at face value. She questioned everything to what Scripture says, and that is a great reminder to us to do the same in our own lives as we are confronted with others' belief systems. Delightfully written book, very descriptive and keeps you intrigued to the very end of the book. It is clear that the author did immense amounts of research to make this novel as authentic as possible. I felt as though I was right in each scene as I read.  I look forward to reading more from this author.

If you are looking for a great read to get you through the rest of this summer, I highly recommend The Blessed. I give it a huge thumbs up.

BUY IT: You can purchase The Blessed by Ann H. Gabhart at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Shirley. What a great blog title. That's what all us moms want to be - A mom after God's own heart. Thanks so much for reading my book and sharing your thoughts with your readers. Hope you enjoy some of my other stories too if you get a chance to read any of them.

    ReplyDelete