Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Faithful Parent: A Book Review

About The Book:

A compelling read, this book offers practical advice and biblical hope to parents of children of all ages. Most parenting books, outright or indirectly, promise a good outcome if you only follow their suggestions. The Faithful Parent contains a wealth of practical, biblically-based suggestions, but it maintains that the most important relationship in any family is vertical—between parents and God. It is the Christian parent, in being faithful, who glorifies God. Look inside to discover how the faithful parent has the biggest impact on his or her children.


You can read an excerpt of The Faithful Parent here (in PDF Format)





About The Author:


Martha Peace is a biblical counselor and conference speaker, as well as the best-selling author of The Excellent Wife.


Stuart Scott is a professor of Biblical Counseling at Southern Seminary and the author of The Exemplary Husband. He is a board member of the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors.



My Review:


I was introduced to the writing of Martha Peace when I read The Excellent Wife last year. At that time I was on a journey to become a more Godly wife and mother, and the book made a huge impact on me. It is very evident that God is working through the writing and speaking ministry of Martha Peace. After my experience of reading The Excellent Wife, I went out and bought Scott's book, The Exemplary Husband as a gift for my husband. I have not been disappointed in either book. As you might guess, I was very excited to find out they had teamed up to write a parenting book.


The Faithful Parent is not your everyday "how to guide" to parenting. There are already an over-abundance of those types of books on the market. I would go so far as to say it is a "how to" for the spiritual component of your family life. One of the biggest things I took away from The Faithful Parent is that it does not matter how much I tell my children about God, if they don't see my life modeling what I am saying, it's not going to mean a thing! Yes, my relationship with my children and my husband are important (and so they should be) but it is my relationship with God that is to be number one. This point is mentioned on a number of occasions throughout The Faithful Parent.


One thing that I absolutely loved about this book is that it gave practical and everyday ideas and tips for each stage of parenting - infant, toddler, preschool, school age and teen years. There is something in this book for all parents. There are a lot of issues covered, from spanking to temper tantrums and more, and though I did not agree with everything the authors said, I felt overall the book was great.


The authors also used a lot of scripture to back up their thoughts, which I truly appreciated. Very easy to read, very well organized and a book that you will reference for years to come and throughout all your parenting challenges that will come.


If you are looking for a detailed, thoroughly Biblical book on parenting, I highly recommend this book!


BUY IT: You can purchase The Faithful Parent at your favorite bookseller from P and R Publishing


***I received a complimentary electronic copy of this book, courtesy of NetGalley, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***


No comments:

Post a Comment