Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Family Child Care Basics: A Book Review

About The Book:



Beginning a new business venture can be a daunting task, and setting up an in-home child care program can be especially challenging. After the licenses have been applied for and acquired, what comes next? Now, an expert on the subject provides advice, tips, information, and activities for setting up a child care program and running it smoothly.
 From creating a healthy, safe environment for children to developing engaging activities that can be used to shape daily plans, Family Child Care Basics shows how to plan and implement a program where children will learn, play, and thrive.

 Topics include:
  • Setting up Your Environment
  • Toys and Materials
  • Setting a Schedule
  • Developing a Curriculum
  • Daily Planning
  • Child Growth and Development
About The Author:

Jennifer Karnopp has been devoted to the field of early learning and care for more than 15 years. After working in the training department of a resource and referral agency where she specialized in finding and creating resources for both English and Spanish speaking child care providers, Jennifer became a certified elementary school teacher and taught in both traditional and bilingual public schools, teaching a variety of grade levels. In 2001, Jennifer began World of Wonder, a curriculum company dedicated to providing hands-on learning experiences for young children.

My Review:

After working in traditional child care center settings for 10 years, after the birth of my second child, I decided to run a family child care program out of my home. This has been an ideal set up for my family. Not only can I still contribute financially to our family, but I can be at home with my preschool age children. 

As a certified Early Childhood Educator, I am always looking for materials and resources that will help enhance my programming or that I can recommend to others. Family Child Care Basics by Jennifer Karnopp is one such resource.

This resource gives you all the details you will need to run your family child care program. With reproducible forms, to fantastic activities, to information about how to set up your program (toy set up, daily schedule) and more. Everything you need to be successful and have a great program for kids is in this book!  The forms included have U.S. state info on them, but could be very easily adapted for Canadians.

If you are currently running a family child care business or thinking about it, this would be a fantastic resource that I highly recommend!

BUY IT: You can purchase Family Child Care Basics by Jennifer Karnopp online here. 

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Gryphon House, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own and I have not been compensated in any other manner***


No comments:

Post a Comment