Sunday, August 28, 2011

Amish Values For Your Family: A Book Review

About The Book:



When it comes to strong families that know how to truly enjoy life together, there is much we can learn from the Amish. Just how do they establish such strong family bonds, such deeply held values, and such wonderful family traditions? In Amish Values for Your Family, bestselling author Suzanne Woods Fisher shares the secrets of Amish family life. In this inspiring and practical book, you will meet real Amish families that are a lot like yours. Through their stories you'll discover how to
  • slow down
  • safeguard family time
  • raise children who stand strong in their faith
  • prioritize what's truly important
Amish values like community, forgiveness, simple living, obedience, and more can be your family legacy--without selling your car or changing your wardrobe.


About The Author:


Suzanne Woods Fisher is the bestselling author of The Choice, The Waiting, The Search, and A Lancaster County Christmas, as well as nonfiction books about the Amish, including Amish Peace. Her interest in the Anabaptist cultures can be directly traced to her grandfather, W. D. Benedict, who was raised in the Old Order German Baptist Brethren Church in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. Benedict eventually became publisher of Christianity Today magazine. Suzanne is the host of an internet radio show called Amish Wisdom, and her work has appeared in many magazines. She lives in California.


My Review:


Suzanne Woods Fisher is one of my favorite Amish Fiction authors and I was honored to review Amish Values for Your Family recently. With the familiar simplicity seen in her other writings, you will learn some amazing lessons that can be incorporated your own everyday life. I cannot tell you how many points I have underlined in this book, that I hope to use with my family in the near future. From planning family vacations that are full of memories and not stress, to making Christmas simple and more about Christ, then what we do make it. My favorite section in the book occurs in each chapter and is called, "In their own words", and is little tidbits from real Amish families. Here are a few quotes that especially hit home with me:


"My goal should never be to raise kids who make me look good. My goal should be to raise kids who love God and spend their lives honoring Him" (p. 164)


"We were unsure of what the future held, but we knew who held our future" (p. 175, speaking about losing a loved one)


"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" (p. 137)


If you are looking for an inspiring read that will take you to a simpler place and ideas to bring simplicity to your busy life, I highly recommend you read this book!


I give Amish Values for Your Family a huge thumbs up.


BUY IT: You can purchase Amish Values For Your Family at your favorite bookseller from Revell Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group


***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment