Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day Home Fun!

I just wanted to share one of my favorite (and the kid's!) activities to do with my family child care program. It is a science experiment that I have been doing for years and it never fails to capture the attention of the children and get them talking about "why?", "how come?" and "what happens when?". I call this activity Exploding Milk, and here it goes:

Materials Needed:

Shallow pan (I use a clear 9x13 casserole dish)
Dawn Liquid Dish Soap
Food Coloring
Milk

How To:

1. Fill pan with milk about 1-2 inches deep


2. Drop 5-7 drops of food coloring in various parts of milk


3. Squirt 2 drops of soap in center of pan, and watch what happens


As you can see when I put the soap in, the colors quickly pushed to the edges and then did this:


Before I put the soap in, I usually ask the children what they think will happen to the colors or milk, and will record their answers. Then I do the experiment and we discuss if what we thought would occur, did or not. I have in the past tried using other soap brands then Dawn, but they do not have the same effect. Not sure why though, if anyone does, let me know:) One thing I have done in the past is to expand the experiment to compare and contrast three different soap brands and chart the differents (either on paper or with my digital camera)

If you try this out, let me know what you think!

Be blessed,

No comments:

Post a Comment