Saturday, August 6, 2011

Just Too Busy - A Book Review

About The Book:


Just Too Busy is the story of the Kraft family's head-on collision with busyness and the 12-month experiment that changed their lives. When their children could recite the dollar value meals at McDonald s faster than the times-tables, Joanne and Paul Kraft knew something was very wrong. So, instead of continuing their busyness habit and fitting more into their schedules, they took a year off from all extracurricular activities and learned how to be a family again.

In this book, readers will laugh their way to learning the 10 telltale signs that they're just too busy and find the courage to guard their families from the temptation of constant distraction. 192 pages.



You can read an excerpt of Just Too Busy: Taking Your Family On A Radical Sabbatical here (in PDF format)


About The Author:



JOANNE KRAFT loves to encourage women. A sought-after speaker, Kraft has been published in Today s Christian Woman, In Touch, ParentLife, Kyria, and P31 Woman Magazine. She serves as marriage study leader, leader of Inspire Christian Writers, and a 911 dispatcher in Sacramento County, California. She is married and has four children.

For more information check Joanne's website and blog

My Review:

If you are a mom, you know that most days you could do with one or two more hours in the day to do everything we want, and need, to do. But don't you just wish you could stop all the chaos of running from one activity to another and just be a family and reconnect like never before. Well, that is exactly Joanne Kraft and her family did!

Just Too Busy: Taking Your Family On A Radical Sabbatical is the story of how Joanne and husband decided they needed to take a step back and stop the craziness that comes with having four children in all kinds of activities, not to mention their adult responsibilities. You will laugh, cry and completely relate to all the stories and antedotes that Joanne shares. As a wife, mom of two preschool children and the owner/operator of a home family child care program, keeping up this blog, and all the other stuff in my life, I so related to much of what Joanne had to say.

During the last few months I have been contemplating my oldest children starting Kindergarten in the fall, and already being bombarded about putting her in Girl Guides, swimming, Awana, or other activities. As I thought about this, I just felt sad. My daughter is not even five years old yet and already society is saying we have to take her here, there, and everywhere. Really? Why? I don't want a overplanned, tired, stressed out child at the end of the week. I want a child who is happy, excited about school and one who WANTS to spend time with me. Her and her sister (only just three years old) have so many years of activities ahead of them. I want my girls to be little for a while longer.

 I am so glad that Joanne Kraft chose to not only take a radical sabbatical with her family, but write a book about the experience. It was amazing to see initial shock and attitude issues their children had, and see how their attitudes changed through the year. Also, Kraft gives wonderful pieces of advice about taking time as a family but also as an individual. She reminds us of the true importance of the Sabbath, prayer, devotions, and more. The very last chapter of the book is called, Living Legacy, and Kraft challenges us to think about what our parenting legacy will be. That really impacted me. In my actions and planning, am I teaching my children that I don't want to be with them (by putting them in so much activity that I don't see them) or am I teaching them that I cherish the time I have with them by actually spending time with them in a quality way. I am not saying I will never put my children in activities because of course I will, but right now I am being convicted that time with my God, my spouse and my girls is far more a priority than any activity is.

"A godly legacy doesn't just happen. It is knowingly, prayerfully, and painstakingly created. I used to believe the busier I was the greater my legacy. Have you considered what yours will be?" (p186)

"Remember, when friends tell you a radical sabbatical is nutty, if they laugh and point, remind them you refuse to be in bondage to your busyness or in captivity to your activities. You are using your gift of time wisely, and your legacy will reflect that. After visiting a church to hear a new preacher in town, President Abraham Lincoln is reported to have said of the sermon, " It was good, but he didn't ask me to do anything great" Abraham Lincoln wanted to be challenged. He wanted something to reach for. And that's what God asks of us. And, sometimes, what God asks of us looks a little bit radical" (p. 186-87)

I recommend this book to everyone and I give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Just Too Busy at your favorite bookseller from Beacon Hill Press, a division of Nazarene Publishing House
***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of the author and Beacon Hill Press, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***






No comments:

Post a Comment