Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Next Story: A Book Review

About The Book:


Acknowledging that technology is everywhere, an inescapable aspect of our lives, author and blogger Tim Challies provides guidance and direction for readers who struggle with the changes brought about by the digital revolution. He helps readers understand why digital technology exists and how a Christian can use new technologies with biblical discernment.


Even the least technical among us are being pressed from all sides by advances in digital technology. We rely upon computers, cell phones, and the Internet for communication, commerce, and entertainment. Yet even though we live in this “instant message” culture, many of us feel disconnected, and we question if all this technology is really good for our souls.
 
In a manner that’s accessible, thoughtful, and biblical, author Tim Challies addresses questions such as: • How has life—and faith—changed now that everyone is available all the time through mobile phones? • How does our constant connection to these digital devices affect our families and our church communities?
 
• What does it mean that almost two billion humans are connected by the Internet … with hundreds of millions more coming online each year?
 
Providing the reader with a framework they can apply to any technology, Tim Challies explains how and why our society has become reliant on digital technology, what it means for our lives, and how it impacts the Christian faith.



About The Author:


A pastor, noted speaker, and author of numerous articles, Tim Challies is a pioneer in the Christian blogosphere. Over 20,000 people visit Challies.com each day, making it one of the most widely read and recognized Christian blogs in the world. Tim is also the editor of DiscerningReader.com, a site dedicated to offering thoughtful reviews of books that are of interest to Christians. Tim is the author of The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment and Sexual Detox. He and his family reside near Toronto, Ontario.

Author Website:
http://www.challies.com






My Review:


The Next Story by Tim Challies is a book that all Christians who are involved with social media (and that is many of us) should read. It is a very informative, well-written book that examines social media in all its forms, and how we as Christians need to handle it so that we don't allow it to overtake our lives and distract us from living our lives out loud for the Lord. 


The Next Story took me a long time to read through. Not because it was a difficult read but because it is loaded with information. Combining theology, philosophy, and technology you will learn about how to create a healthy balance between social media and the Christian life, how to be discerning in what we choose to use and how to use it to glorify God. 


I have come away from reading The Next Story really looking at what social media is costing me, and how I can better use it. Although I am on Facebook, Twitter, and blog, I am realizing that I need to become much more conscious of the time spent on these things and if it is truly worth the time spent. Ultimately, no it is not, when it takes away from my relationships, both with family and friends but especially with my God! As a result of reading this book, and praying through much of what Challies has stated, I believe many changes are coming my way. I was reminded through reading The Next Story that anything (whether it is social media or not) that takes my focus off of Jesus Christ, is an idol and I have to let go of those idols to refocus. It's just a matter of reworking my priorities and sticking to the changes. I am thankful to God for His servant, Tim Challies, and the work being done through this book and his blog. I also plan to re-read this book in order to really  grasp all that Challies is writing about.


I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up.


BUY IT: You can purchase The Next Story at your favorite bookseller from Zondervan


***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Zondervan, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment