Saturday, November 19, 2011

Holiday Gift Guide Day 19: Storytime with Sandra Boynton - Book Review

My first experience with Sandra Boynton books was reading them to my niece when she was an infant/toddler about 10 years ago. Her favorite book was Barnyard Dance, and from the first reading I was hooked! Since then I have read her books through my work as an Early Childhood Educator, and now as a mom. Recently, thanks to Thomas Allen and Sons, I had the opportunity to review two Sandra Boynton titles of my choice. I went with my favorite, Barnyard Dance and a new to me title in Snuggle Puppy to read and review with my children.




About Barnyard Dance:

STOMP YOUR FEET! CLAP YOUR HANDS! EVERYBODY READY FOR A BARNYARD DANCE! Bow to the horse. Bow to the cow. Twirl with the pig if you know how. Bounce with the Bunny. Strut with the duck. Spin with the chickens now CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK! With a BAA and a MOO and a COCKADOODLEDOO, everybody promenade two by two!

Everybody sing alongbecause it's time to do-si-do in the barnyard with a high-spirited animal crew! From Boynton on Board, the bestselling series of board books, here is BARNYARD DANCE, with Sandra Boynton's twirling pigs, fiddle-playing cows, and other unforgettable animals. Extra-big, extra-fat, and extra-fun, BARNYARD DANCE features lively rhyming text and a die-cut cover that reveals the wacky characters inside. Guaranteed to get kids and adults stomping their feet. Main selection of the Children's Book-of-the-Month Club. Winner of the 1994 Gold Medal from the National Parenting Publications Award. Suitable for ages 1-4.



My Review:


With fun rhymes and whimsical illustrations, Sandra Boynton introduces even the youngest of readers to farm animals and their sounds. This has been one of my favorite books for years, and it is one of a handful of books I read to my girl's while they were still in the womb (yes, I was one of those moms-to-be). To this day, it is still the go-to bedtime story and now I share it with the children in my family child care program for a whole new group of fans to read it to. 


Barnyard Dance, and any Sandra Boynton book actually, would be the perfect idea for a baby shower gift, and with Christmas just around the corner perfect for the new baby or toddler on your list (especially because it is available in board board format, perfect for little hands)







About Snuggle Puppy:


OOO, Snuggle Puppy of mine! Everything about you is especially fine. I love what you are. I love what you do. Fuzzy little Snuggle Puppy, I love you. Featuring a sweet and cuddly doggie cast and rhyming verse, Snuggle Puppy is the perfect bedtime book to read last, because of an ending that kids will want again and again: I started with OOO. . . . Now we'll end like this: [BIG SMOOCH!]


A great big hug in book form, Snuggle Puppy is a year-round valentine from parent to child. It is bright, chunky, a pleasure to hold, and has a die-cut cover that reveals a glimpse of the joy inside before it's even opened. Best of all, it's packed, of course, with pure Boynton: her inimitable language, her inimitable illustrations, her inimitable sense of fun. 


My Review:


Another fun and adorable book from author Sandra Boynton! My favorite part of the book goes way beyond the little love song. I love that this book is actually very interactive. There is so much you can talk about with your child as you read each page to them. For example, on one of the pages the puppies are baking, so its a perfect way to talk about the ingredients that are in the picture and why we need those things in a recipe. This could lead to baking cookies together after reading the book! When a book indirectly adds to interaction between the child and reader I love that, and all of Boynton's books do this! Not only would this be a great bedtime book, but great for rainy day reading or when your child is having a rough day and needs a time for snuggling. 


 For a fun, interactive book that is another great birthday, baby, or Christmas gift, I highly recommend Snuggle Puppy!


About The Author:


Sandra Boynton has been a bestselling Workman author for 25 years. She's written the New York Times bestseller Chocolate: The Consuming Passion,the national (and New York Times) bestselling musical for the whole family, Philadelphia Chickens, the phenomenally successful Boynton on Board series (led by Barnyard Dance!),and the one-of-a-kindGrunt, the sublime collection of Pigoroian chant. All told, her books have over 15.3 million copies in print, a number that will already be out-of-date when you read this. She lives with her family in western Connecticut.


BUY IT: You can purchase both Snuggle Puppy and Barnyard Dance at your favorite bookseller, from Thomas Allen and Sons


***I received a complimentary set of the two above books, courtesy of Thomas Allen and Sons, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***


No comments:

Post a Comment