Monday, December 5, 2011

Gooney Bird On The Map: A Book Review

About The Book:


Gooney Bird Greene returns for more adventures in this chapter-book series from two-time Newbery Medal–winner Lois Lowry.
 
Mrs. Pidgeon’s second grade class has a lot to celebrate in February: presidents’ birthdays, Valentine’s Day, and school vacation. Of course, the students are talking about their awesome vacation plans every chance they get. It can be hard to focus on subtraction problems when you’re heading to Hawaii or Florida in seventeen minus seven days!

But most of the class (twelve minus three of them, in fact) will be staying home during vacation. Can Gooney Bird Greene keep spirits up while everyone is feeling down?

Gooney Bird has a great idea that sends her classmates and her on a snowy spin through U.S. history and geography!

About The Author:

Lois Lowry has written many books beloved by children and adults alike, and has received numerous honors and awards, including two Newbery Medals. She and illustrator Middy
Thomas have been friends for years and enjoy working on the Gooney Bird books together. Lois Lowry lives in Massachusetts and Middy Thomas lives in Maine. 


For more information check out www.loislowry.com

About The Illustrator:

Middy Thomas ia a native Mainer. Raised and educated in Maine, but she decided long ago the state wasn't enough. So she lived and traveled many of the states, Central America and abroad -- mostly with paint brush in hand. She does many different things in art, from all mediums in painting, printing and sculpture. She also teaches two art classes a week in her studio. In addition to illustrating the "Gooney Bird" series, Middy has done cover art and illustrations for several books. She says, "My whole life has been involved with my work...nothing is too small or too large, I enjoy it all."


My Review:

First off, this is a great read for the young reader in your life. Organized as a chapter book, with illustrations, it will appeal to all those young children who are about seven years old and older. 

The antics of Gooney Bird Greene remind me of Junie B Jones, but with more respect shown to be sure. There are a few things about the control (or lack thereof) of the classroom that I did not really appreciate but I have to remember that this is a piece of fiction. Kids are not always going to be 100% well behaved regardless of adult expectation. If my child were to have read the book (she is only 5 and not reading yet) I think it would be a fantastic opportunity to talk about appropriate behaviors and the consequences that come from disrespect shown towards parents, teachers and even our peers. What I love about Gooney is her determination, imagination and strong will. These are some of the qualities I desire for my daughters, making Gooney Bird a role model for girls in general. 

The book is full of adventures which will appeal to both boys and girls, and not only will they enjoy reading a fiction book, but will learn a few things about history and geography too.

This is the first of the Gooney Bird books I have read, and it is my hope that when my daughter is ready to start reading chapter books that she will choose to read Gooney Bird. 

I highly recommend this book and this it would be a great Christmas gift idea for the young reader on your Christmas shopping list.

I give this book a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Gooney Bird on the Map at your favorite bookseller from Thomas Allen and Sons

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Thomas Allen and Sons, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment