Thursday, December 29, 2011

I Am In Here: A Book Review

About The Book:



Me

I sometimes fear
That people cannot understand
That I hear.
And I know
That they don't believe I go
To every extreme
To try to express
My need to talk.
If only they could walk
In my shoes
They would share my news:
I am in here.
And trying to speak every day
In some kind of way.

Though she cannot speak, Elizabeth Bonker writes poetry that shines a light on the hidden inner world of autism and the world around us.I Am in Here is the spiritual journey of a mother and daughter who refuse to give up hope, who celebrate their victories, and who keep moving forward despite the obstacles. Elizabeth's poetry and her mother's stirring storytelling combine in this inspirational book to proclaim that there is always a reason to take the next step--with hope.

You can read an excerpt of I Am In Here, online here, in PDF format

About The Authors:

Elizabeth M. Bonker is a thirteen-year-old young lady with autism who cannot yet speak, but who writes deeply revealing poetry, which was featured on PBS's Religion & Ethics Newsweekly. She excels in mainstream public school with an educational aide.
Virginia G. Breen is the mother of three beautiful children, two of whom are profoundly affected by autism. Besides working to heal her children, Virginia is a venture capitalist investing in high-tech companies, and she sits on both corporate and nonprofit boards. Previously she studied computer science at Harvard, business at Columbia, and eastern philosophies in Singapore. She now studies relentlessly at the School of Autism.


My Review:


During 2011 I have read a number of inspiring books, but none have impacted me as much as reading I Am In Here! As you read this book, be prepared to feel all kinds of emotions. You will laugh, cry and be inspired as you read Elizabeth's journey. One emotion I did not expect to experience was anger. Not at Elizabeth of course but at society and how it, in general has no concept of the Autism Spectrum Disorder and how to relate to those who live with Autism on a daily basis. I have had the experience of working with children who have Autism. They are beautiful children, who, yes, have unpredictable behaviors at times, but so does everyone else. We just need to look at the life of Elizabeth to see how inspiring life can be. 


Her poetry is heart-felt and stunning, without anger or self-pity evident. Very simple but so deep with truth, amazing for such a young person! A great insight to the hearts of those who live with Autism.


You can see it clearly that her mom is her biggest advocate and that is so important for children with any special needs! If we don't fight for our kids (regardless of ability) who will! I Am In Here is an incredibly thought-provoking, inspiring book that NEEDS to be read by everyone. Especially those parent of children with Autism and other special needs, education staff and administrators, basically everyone! You will not be disappointed. 


I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!


BUY IT: You can purchase I Am In Here at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group


***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***


No comments:

Post a Comment